Anyone had more than 1 little one with pws? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM

Default Anyone had more than 1 little one with pws?

Hi Everone

My first daughter Jessica was born with a facial pws. It is on the left side of her face and covers quite a large area. I have just found out that I am expecting another baby and I am excited but am also worried. I am worried that my next baby will also be born with a pws. Not that the pws changes anything about the way I feel about Jessy and she is the most beautifull little girl in the world to me with or without a birthmark. Its the other health risks that are linked to pws that I find worry about and as well Jessica is going to be having a fair few laser treatments to try and get some fading which can't be a pleasent experience and I am just worried my new baby is going to have to go through the same thing. I know I'm probably being silly worrying so much but I can't really find any info about this on the net also as no one seems to no what causes pws I can't help worrying. Thank you in advance for any replies!

Gemma x
Old 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM

All the research I have seen does not point to a familial or genetic predisposition to birthmarks. They're just "one of those things" that a certain percentage of the population have. We have a son with a PWS, and I hadn't even really considered that any subsequent children might have one.

And honestly, if any subsequent children have a PWS that needed to be treated, I wouldn't think twice about doing it. Our son goes for his third treatment next week. Each time, I have to remember that the whole thing is much harder on his Dad and me than it is on him! He doesn't seem to be bothered by it much at all.

That would be a good question for the doctor who is treating your daughter, though.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM

I was worries about that also because my first child has a pws, i was worries that my second child might also. It is a 3 in 1000 chance that 1 child has it so to have two children with it is very rare. There is no greater risk because your first child has it.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:05 AM

I haven't had a child with a PWS, but I am a child with a facial PWS. I have 2 brothers, and neither of them have birthmarks of any sort.

As for laser treatments, I strongly reccomend them. At the age of 15, my birthmark is almost completely gone because of the treatments I've been recieving since a young age. True, it can be a somewhat painful, but it's over with relatively soon, and the results are worth it. Also, with new technologies in the lasers, I'm looking forward to the treatment I have tomorrow because I barely feel it.