17 year old w port wine stain - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Default 17 year old w port wine stain

Hey guys, I'm a 17 y/o senior in HS with a port wine stain. It's a red/pinkish color..not too noticeable..but still makes me feel self concious. Is getting laser surgery worth the cost? I really want to ask my parents about getting it removed..but i want outside opinions first!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

It depends. No one can really tell you how to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. It might be very important to you to try to lighten it, where it might not be as important to me. That's hard to ask someone else.

I will say that treatment may help prevent cobbles and blebs with it later, so if you want to look into treatment options for that reason, it's something to think about. I often hear from adults that did not think it was important to get treatment and when they started getting blebs and cobbles... well, that wasn't what they wanted.

Where is your pws located?
Missy
Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Hello,

Were is your PWS located? Laser is the best option for treating pws, but results depend on the depth of the stain. The medical reason to have laser therapy is to avoid possible thickening of the stain, cobbles or blebs that occur as you age. Into your 20's is when this may occur. It may not, but I havent' seen your pws (can you email me a picture). I would also recommend that you email your information and picture to Dr. Stuart Nelson from the ask the expert on the main page of this site. Dr. Nelson is very responsive and can give you more details on what benefits you may see. Insurance companies do cover this if the proper steps are taken to get it approved.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:44 PM

My PWS is on my left cheek...spreads across to my ear. It's darkest in a spot under my eye and sort of tapers off in color as it goes across my face. With makeup...its not noticeable at all...but I'm tired of wearing makeup that's all

Here's a picture of it now

It's not THAT bad...but enough to make me self concious
Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM

I'm 15, and I've been getting laser treatments since I was very young, and I would say it's definitely worth the cost, especially because health insurance can sometimes help with some of it.

I was born with PWS around my eye and going up onto my forehead, and after about 10 years of treatment total, its barely noticeable, and completely invisible.

Also, yours seems pretty light, judging by the picture, so it could even be covered up by makeup. I would reccomend dermablend, which is available at some department stores. It conceals my PWS completely, even when it's bright red after a treatment.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 AM

Discussions are always the main source of accurate information and to ensure a comfortable results, you can get immediate and reliable information, which will definitely help you in every area of your concern.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:55 AM

I also have a port wine stain but mine covers my entire right leg... where yours is located at you look like you have rosey cheeks your beautiful no matter what and that was the way you were made!! If it really bothers you some make up would cover that right up!! remember it could always be worse. I had 4 laser treatments and did nothing for me all it did was burn my skin and cause pain... totally not worth any of it, I felt like my whole leg was on fire 24/7...