Hearing Issues - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > CMTC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Hearing Issues

Looking for anyone who may have had a similar experience. My daughter Becca has CMTC and has struggled with body temp. issues since birth. These are getting better but her hearing has also been a concern. My question is if anyone has had hearing issues related to CMTC. The other thing is that as the temp. is getting warmer we are seeing improvement in the hearing. I am wondering if the hearing could be related to the temp. just like the body temp. regulation and activity levels are. I asked the audiologist if she thought her hearing issues could be related to CMTC since there is inconsistency in the amount she is affected. She didn't know. I do think there is some relation having to do with her vascular system. She did say that there are many very small blood vessels supplying the ear and that if flow isn't good that could affect this. We know that her hearing is lower through the air and better on her bone. We also know that her ear drum is not functioning properly. They told us that is usually related to ear infections but that doesn't seem to be the case with Becca since she has only had one ear infection (no family history of chronic ear infections in our other children either-two other ear infections total in my other three kids). I haven't found anything about hearing issues in my research but it was a question the pediatric derm. that diagnosed her asked. At the time we saw her we didn't realize hearing was an issue because she was so visual we thought she was hearing everything. The hearing issues were noted when she was screened for Birth to Three services. The concern is that we see so much inconsistency in her hearing that the audiologist doesn't think we can correct it because she does hear some of the time. I am worried because as a teacher I know that any auditory input you miss in school has a huge impact on learning. I worry that for her she is missing a lot of input when she is not hearing. Speech/commmuication is also starting to improve and the speech teacher agrees with me that there must be some connection to the temperature because she is seeing this same change in her hearing. We have had huge changes in communication in the past month. Communication skills are so closely related to hearing that we want to make sure we are doing everything possible to give Becca the best start.