Questions about my VM and effects on skin! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Default Questions about my VM and effects on skin!

I've had/known about the VM in my left arm since I was about 18 (I'm 23 now). It started cause problems because I was into martial arts at the time. I was referred to a surgeon who told me it wasn't serious and that I should pretty much just avoid contact sports. I recently took up martial arts but I've been avoiding physical contact with my left arm.

2 days ago I accidentally got hit right on VM (the little bump). Anyways my arm swelled and now I have bruising all over my left arm (first time it has bruised this much).

So I'm seeing a plastic surgeon shortly to schedule treatment (sclerotherapy). Anyways bits of my arm(skin) look waxy and the hair growth in those areas is also stunted?(the hair is really hard to see). If the schlerotherapy is successful will my skin return to normal or should I also be seeing a dermatologist?
Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!!

How long has the skin there been waxy and how long has the hair growth been stunted? If it has been like that for a long time and the plastic surgeon can't do anything to make it better, then you should probably see a derm.

When is your appointment?

Missy
Old 06-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Hello and thanks for the great feedback

2 weeks from now, and it's been stunted since around the same time I noticed my VM or shortly after (was at least 4 years ago). I'm going to see another doctor today for some anti-inflammatory medication.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Make sure the doctor you are seeing in two weeks KNOWS that your skin is a very serious concern for you. Don't leave without a treatment plan OR a referral to someone who will help you with that.

Give us an update after your appointment.

Missy