airway hemangiomas - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM

Default airway hemangiomas

my daughter is seeing an ENT this weds. at children's in STL to discuss doing a scope to determine if she has an airway hemangioma. has anyone gone this route, and if so, what was your experience?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Administrator

No advice here, just wanted to say not to forget to update us after Wednesday. We'll be looking forward to hearing how it went.

Missy
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 PM

My personal prefrence would be to tell them to use the numbing spray if they have it available. I had no idea what to expect when we took Conner for the scope and the ped had assured me it was routine for them to numb the nasal passage before they did the procedure but before I could blink the ENT had the scope down his nose and Conner was hysterical. (The ENT, who was a huge jerk btw said oh don't worry about it they don't remember anything till they are 2 or 3 yrs old.) He was probably 6 months old at the time. It did not bother him in the long run and he was over it in about an hour but it seemed pointless to me for them not to make them as comfortable as possible. Our H babies go through enough without any unneccesary pain or discomfort. I hope that the visit goes well and that they don't find a hemangioma in her airway. Keep us posted. Our thoughts are with you! ~Heather
Old 07-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

It's Wednesday, too... I'll be looking for an update!

Missy
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM

Our daughter had a scope done around 1 month of age. There was no numbing at all, and I just held her while the doctor stuck the scope into her nose and down her throat. She cried hard, but was able to calm down soon afterwards. The procedure was relatively short, and we were able to see a recording of it afterwards as the doctor double-checked for an airway hemangioma (she found none). I hope that helps. Good luck at your appointment!
ellie
Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 AM

Little Livy survived her day of procedures. I felt so sorry for my baby girl being poked and prodded all day, but she did great! We did the scope first. They found a small, flat hemangioma on the back of her tongue, but they don't seem too concerned at this time. They feel the Propranolol is controlling it so far, so that is good news. They also did an MRI/MRA and we should have those results by Monday. I will update when I know more. Thanks for the well wishes and advice!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

That IS good news!!

YAY!! I love Good News Day!

Missy
Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 PM

we got our MRI results this morning, and everything is absolutely fine! we are soooooo happy and relieved!