propranolol- waking up for feedings? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 AM

Default propranolol- waking up for feedings?

our 5 week old daughter started taking propranolol a week ago. her dr. recommends waking her up every 3 hours at night to feed. is this typical?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Our doctor (Dr.Waner) said that if were concerned about our childs blood sugar to feed him when he gets his propranolol dosage (every 8 hours). We don't have to wake our baby up throughout the night for feedings.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:25 PM

This was not suggested to us. And our daughter weighed just under 6 pounds at the time we started Propranolol. I did make sure to feed her with each dosage. I do know of a Mom who was told to wake her 13 month old during the night by one Dr, but then another told her it was not necessary. I'd def. ask your Dr. for more sound reasoning, and medical proof of this being necessary.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 AM

I just started my daughter on propranolol and we were told to wake her up for feedings every 3-4 hours too. She has always been a great sleeper and I am hoping this doesn't ruin her sleeping habits! Did you wake your baby up for feedings for the entire duration of propranolol or was this just during the beginning?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM

livy will sleep through the night if we let her. our dr. still recommends waking her up for feedings for at least another month (she just turned 3 months). we did for about the first 6-8 weeks and then we started letting her sleep for longer periods at a time. however, whenever we increase her dose, we always wake her up at night for feedings. she pretty much sleeps through them, so it's not so bad, but i'm definitely ready for a full 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep!