hello everyone!! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 07-30-2010, 06:27 PM

Default hello everyone!!

my name is holly, and my 8 year old daughter has a pws on more than 1/2 of her face, some on her neck, in her mouth/throat and covering her right ear. we have been going thru laser treatments since she was 2 1/2 years old, she had a total of 13 now, i can say we do see some lighting of it but not that much to say "wow it really works". i am getting so down on the laser treatments now, she knows what it is and cries and breaks my heart every time. i know it is something that needs to be done for her but i am so drained i sometimes find myself not answering the calls from her dermatoligist just so i dont have to hear them words.. is anyone else going thru the samething? i try my hardest to be strong for myself and her but it has been so many years and i just wish more could be done.. my new pedetrician mentioned something to me today about a new type of treatment and i was wondering if anyone has heard of it, the meds name is propanolol. i was looking for ao good site when i ran across this one.. i hope everyone is doing well and i look foward to getting to know some of you.. god bless you all and all of our angels!!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Sounds like your daughter is one strong little girl!

Propanolol has been used for the treatment of hemangiomas and has shown some success. I have not heard of it being used for other vascular birthmarks, though. I haven't heard of it helping for PWS or AVM's.

Missy
Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 PM

Well I know this might sound weird but what is the diffrence between hemangiomas and pws?? I have thought all these years it was considered the samething.. my daughter is 8 and her docs have never broke it down for me?? thanks