daughter scheduled for surgery with dr waner in two weeks - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Wait wait wait. Isn't tomorrow her birthday (their birthdays)?

Bring on the cake!

Missy
Old 04-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilana View Post
thanks guys... so the surgery is monday,,, i am sooooooooooooooo nervous.. any tips on what top bring?what type of clothing? is she naked during surgery shoudl i bring her layers? do i bring herbottle for the sugar water and another formula bottle for afterwards? what did you guys bring with you??? blanket?

thanks!

I just brought my normal diaper bag stuff. She will be naked during surgery except for a diaper. They gave me the pedialyte to give her afterwards in recovery. I also had a bottle in case she needed it on the ride home.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:55 AM

thanks for all your advice and help guys.. she had the surgery it went very well... unfortunately, a week later she developed a rare complication. she and her twin lightly tap heads (not a the site of the hemangioma excision)... and her forehead immediately swelled up the size of golf ball and blood started shooting out of her head (from the site that the drain was removed from).. we called an ambulance and then dr waner..she was losing consciousness in the ambulance and it was very scary...dr waner was waiting for us in the ER with a team of 20 ppl to help her.. he saw her and immediately told me she was going to be OK.. she stabilized her within 10 min. he admitted her to the pediatric ICU for observation and the next morning put her under general anesthesia again and removed the stitches and excess blood that had accumulated overnight. Dr waner thinks a blood clot got dislodged and thats when the blood started pooling. he said in the thousands of patients he has worked with he has only seen it one other time before.... he was amazing and i am so glad we went with him.. he came to visit her so many times and gave us her personal cell and told us to call 24 hours a day if anything changes.. he is so amazing and has such a calm manner about him.. the paramedics also commented to me that this was the first time they had ever seen a surgeon meet a patient in the ER... he was amazing.. thankfully she is doing well but we are watching her very carefully.. my mom and sister flew in to help... we want to make sure she doesnt hit her head again for the next few weeks but at least now we know what to do. In other good news, her scar looks great.. he did a wonderful job!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 AM

whoa...that is so scary. I'm glad you were in Dr. Waner's hands. I hope that she has a safe, quick, uneventful recovery from here on out. I will keep her in my prayers.

Shannon
Old 05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator

!!!!

I am soooooooooo glad you were in such good hands and that everything is OK now. How scary!!!

Missy
Old 05-01-2011, 05:35 PM

How scary!!! glad everything is okay! Dr. Waner is very wonderful!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 PM

thanks guys!