Medical Expenses for travel - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Medical Expenses for travel

We are going to New York from Kansas in June for surgery with Dr. Levitin. I heard from someone that I can write off my expenses for travel on my taxes. I've spend quite a bit on airfare and hotel. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Administrator

You need to speak to your tax professional. However, keep all of your receipts. If your expenses are a certain percentage of your income, you may be able to write it off.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502...link1000178979

However, if you're like me, you'll keep a detailed log of your expenses and they'll change the law for next year.

Missy
Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure we would qualify, we don't make much each year and we have paid over $1000 for hotel/airfare so far. And I'm pretty sure we will be paying $3,000 out of pocket for her surgery.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 PM

SM, We are hopefully going to NY for surgery with Dr. Levitin this summer though not scheduled yet. We are coming from Ala so let us know how the surgery, hotel arrangements etc. work out if you could and any other tips.
Thanks and good luck!!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 PM

Grace- I will def post an update. I booked my hotel by central park because I thought she would like that as an activity to do the day before. And so far everyone has been super helpful getting everything set and approved.