Internal Hemangiomas with PELVIS syndrome - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Default Internal Hemangiomas with PELVIS syndrome

Hi Everyone!

My daughter was born two weeks ago today, she is my 4th child. She was diagnosed shortly after birth with multiple internal hemangiomas with PELVIS syndrome. She has an external hemangioma between her legs that the Derm is watching for growth, she has a deformity of the bladder and spinal tethering, related to the internal hemangiomas, and is having a bronchoscopy tomorrow because she is exhibiting some stridor and as a result may have a subglottic hemangioma as well. The derm has not started her on propanolol yet, prefering to wait until the external starts to show signs of growth, although if we see a subglottic I guess that may change. That's our story, this has been an overwhelming two weeks as this was completely unexpected and resulted in a 9 day NICU stay and a battery of tests. I am glad to have found this community though and am hoping to draw some support from it!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Best of luck to you and hang in there! I think the beginning is the worst because there is so much of the unknown there. Keep us updated!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Congratulations on your new baby. What a hard time for you, but come here to vent and bounce ideas. We're here for you!!

Missy
Old 06-08-2011, 01:34 AM

Wow! That's quite a bit to deal with in two weeks. It must be so overwhelming. It sounds like the doctors are trying to gather as much info as they can so that is good news I think. There are so many wonderful people that I've met on here over the past 6 years. It is a great place to draw support from so keep us posted!
shannon
Old 06-10-2011, 04:42 PM

If you don't mind, would you write to me via email. I'd like to see if there is something we can do to help with any expert advice you might want (second opinions?, etc.).

Corinne
Old 07-05-2011, 02:11 PM

My 4th child was also born with Pelvis/Lumbar syndrome. He had a tethered cord and a fluid filled cavity in his spine. He is also had a hole in the covering of his spinal cord. Doctors also diagnosed him with a very mild form of Spina Bifida. He has an extra tube coming off his bladder as well as a bifid scrotum. He was also born with a solitary right kidney (his left is missing). His segmental hemangioma grew from the size of a nickel on his left shin (at birth), to his diaper area (at 2weeks old), to the rest of his left leg and hip (by 2 months). We were using topical propranalol on the ones in his diaper area since they seemed to ulcerate frequently. We have seen some improvement...including less ulceration.

In January @ 10months old, he had spinal cord surgery @ the University of Iowa Children's Hospital. They released his cord and placed a shunt to relieve the fluid build up. He is doing great now and is walking and crawling During his surgery it was also noted that he had small hemangiomas on the covering of his spinal cord.

We did genetic testing and were told his condition was not likely to happen to any of our future children.

Let me know if I can be any help or support. It is a pretty rare occurance from what we have been told. We have not met anyone in our area that has heard of our son's condition. Our Neurosurgeon in Iowa City has only seen 2 patients with this condition.

Hugs!
Missy O
Ethan SD

Last edited by mortman : 07-05-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 PM

thank you! it is hard to have a diagnosis that is so rare. there are always a lot of unanswered questions!