recovery from AVM surgery - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 PM

Default recovery from AVM surgery

Hi,
I had AVM on the top of my foot from my birth. Now I am 42. Because my AVM was quite detached, my vascular surgeon decided to remove it. I had the operation in mid June and removed it successfully.

The biggest challenge I am facing now is recovery. Since the wound is on my foot, blood pressure builds up strongly once my foot is higher than my heart. There is a bag of blood built up around the wound. Pain is one issue but not the biggest one. Given the high pressure building up every time I stand up, I may not give any chance the blood vessels to heal or close. The issue is about recovery as well as avoiding further complication.

I am already sitting or lying on bed almost 23 hours a day but it doesn't seem to help.

Any advice or experience to share on how to help?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Eddie
Old 07-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

What has your surgeon recommended? I can't imagine that lying or sitting for 23 hours a day couldn't help! You must be going nuts.

Missy
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 PM

Hi Eddie,

I myself recently had two surgeries to remove VM. Although not AVM, I think a lot of the same variables are in play with hands and feet. Mine was on the hand.

We use our extremities so much that they take longer to heal. My first case was done on May 19, 2011, and I am still in some pain and the site is still really sore. I try to keep it immobilized.

I think that because yours is on a foot, it will take much much longer to heal as the blood flow isn't helping. Unless you think you might have an infection, just keep doing as the doctor suggests.

I am obviously not a doctor, and I know the trials of not being able to do things because of the surgery from a different angle, but just hang in there. Keep it clean, and try to eat healthy and do what the Dr says.

Definitely tell him about that bag of blood and text him pics of it. Doctors like pics of surgical sites! Hehe.

Hang in there.