Thyroid testing and CMTC - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > CMTC

Old 10-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Default Thyroid testing and CMTC

We were told to have Becca's thyroid level checked regularly when she was diagnosed with CMTC. So when we were at our family doctor a couple of weeks ago I brought up that it hadn't been tested for two years and that we were supposed to have it tested regularly. She did order the test but then wanted to know why. I didn't know why. I posted this question to the CMTC group on FB and nobody knew why. Does anyone here have an idea?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

I would think that since there are other abnormalities associated with CMTC that thyroid function checks would be a precaution.

Missy

PS/// should be a simple blood test, right?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 AM

You are right Missy it is just a blood test. Our doctor doesn't want to do it again unless I can give her some information why. From what I have found some families have it done and some don't. I think that initially it was done because of the temperature issues because I think that because of the CMTC she already has problems with body temp. but I think that can also be affected if your thyroid isn't functioning. I am hoping to ask more people about this issue this summer because we are planning to go to DC for the CMTC conference with the group from the Netherlands. We are also struggling with local doctor issues because our research isn't good enough but she stopped researching because she was finding the same information that is also very limited. I have done a lot of research and I feel like I know a lot about CMTC and I have even been giving advice to some families that are just starting down this road. I don't know what to do.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 PM

I've never heard that about the thyroid. Please keep us posted. We are getting no where in our area.