laser question...now or later? does it matter? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 AM
smurph smurph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 401
Default laser question...now or later? does it matter?

Hi! My daughter had laser done in March on what remained of her lip hemangioma...actually they treated the space between her nose and upper lip, because that is where some of the redness remained.

We went for her follow up today and the doc. recommended another laser treatment because there is still a little bit of redness right above her lip line. Although I do see what he is saying, we have decided that we are happy with it the way it is. My daughter is 6 and she doesn't want another treatment. She is happy with it as it is. The doc said that is fine and if she changes her mind we can always do it when she is older.

My question is (and I foolishly forgot to ask him this)....will the outcome be different whether we do it now or later? Like if she decides to do the laser when she's a teenager will it be any harder or easier? Will it work as well?

I am totally comfortable leaving it as is....I just want to make sure I get as much info as I can to check and double check that we are doing the best thing long term.

Any thoughts?
Shannon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM
missy missy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,724
Default

Hi Shannon,

I don't know that anyone can really tell you that for sure. You know the nature of vascular birthmarks ... they behave the way they behave.

Why don't you ask one of the experts? http://birthmark.org/experts.php Or see if your doctor's office has an email system and you could email there and ask.

My *opinion* is that you ARE doing the best thing long term, no matter what the birthmark does. If she doesn't want another treatment right now, then ... oh well. Children have so little control. We tell them what to eat, wear, where to go. It might be more of an esteem boost to let her *make* this decision, even if it meant an extra laser treatment as a teen.

Missy

PS... and how are you???
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 AM
smurph smurph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 401
Default

Missy,
You are totally right. We went into the appt. yesterday thinking we were done and we need to stick with that, especially with Faith's feelings about it. Now that she is 6 she should have a say in what happens. I was thinking of emailing one of the doctors but since it's not urgent...I was thinking of maybe waiting until the next conference and maybe having the docs take a look and asking them a few questions at that point???

Who knows what kinds of treatments will be available down the road anyway? Things have changed so much even in the past 6 years since Faith first started on the oral steroids!

By the way, did I tell you about Faith's book? She wrote a book called "Faith's Birthmark." We recently got it printed through Snapfish...it came out so cute! She sent a copy of it to Donna and Evan and we are about to send a copy off to Dr. Linda this week! Yesterday, we gave one to Dr. Mulliken so they can keep it at the office at Children's Hospital in Boston for other children to read who may be going through something similar. We had Faith "autograph" the book. She was so proud! Today, for her reading homework, she told me that she wanted to do a "Reading Response" on the book she had written! She got a kick out of writing down her own name as the author! So anyway, yesterday was an overall positive day.

Shannon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2011, 12:56 PM
missy missy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph View Post
Missy,
You are totally right. We went into the appt. yesterday thinking we were done and we need to stick with that, especially with Faith's feelings about it. Now that she is 6 she should have a say in what happens. I was thinking of emailing one of the doctors but since it's not urgent...I was thinking of maybe waiting until the next conference and maybe having the docs take a look and asking them a few questions at that point???

Who knows what kinds of treatments will be available down the road anyway? Things have changed so much even in the past 6 years since Faith first started on the oral steroids!

By the way, did I tell you about Faith's book? She wrote a book called "Faith's Birthmark." We recently got it printed through Snapfish...it came out so cute! She sent a copy of it to Donna and Evan and we are about to send a copy off to Dr. Linda this week! Yesterday, we gave one to Dr. Mulliken so they can keep it at the office at Children's Hospital in Boston for other children to read who may be going through something similar. We had Faith "autograph" the book. She was so proud! Today, for her reading homework, she told me that she wanted to do a "Reading Response" on the book she had written! She got a kick out of writing down her own name as the author! So anyway, yesterday was an overall positive day.

Shannon
I DID hear something about Faith's book! Tell her I want to score an autographed copy too!



Missy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,078
Default

Shannon,

We have similar story. Nicholas is now 8 and we and he feel he doesn't need another treatment. His doctor said he could use one more, but up to us of course. At age 6 you are well outside of the growth phase and involution likely will be slow if any...but it shouldn't matter if you do it now or wait now.
__________________
Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump