4 week-old granddaughter with hemangioma near lip - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 AM

Default 4 week-old granddaughter with hemangioma near lip

Thank you thank you thank you for this site and the Foundation. When my daughter pointed out a small red area near the crease of my granddaughter's mouth, the doctor pronounced it a hemangioma and my heart sunk as I know what they are. She suggested the wait and see approach. Looking at the websites for Childrens Hosp Boston, the Mayo Clinic and Yale Hospital to educate myself, I read that areas near the eye, throat, lips and diaper need early intervention. There is also a larger red area that blanches with pressed on the back of her head, and a lighter pink area on her eyelid which I sure hope is a stork bite!

I called Children's Hosp Boston for information and Kerri was wonderfully helpful. Unfortunately, my granddaughter is currently on the state of CT insurance plan so Boston is out for us. She'll have the millitary insurance soon which will be helpful (I hope!). Kerri had me email pictures which she will have the pediatric dematology nurses review and give me whatever advice they deem useful.

I also emailed the Yale Dept of Pediatric Derm and received an email from its Director, Dr. Antaya. He reviewed her pictures and said she should be seen soon and offered her an appointment this Thursday in their vascular anomalies clinic in New Haven, CT.

My daughter will be calling the pediatrician in the morning to request a referral now rather than wait until there are complications. If she refuses we will have to find another doctor immediately or pay out of pocket for the initial exam. Wish us luck!

Last edited by Sue R : 12-19-2011 at 02:01 AM.