Laser vs. propanolol - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Default Laser vs. propanolol

My daughter is now 11 weeks old and has a large H on her face near her mouth (see photo). We were referred to a pediatric dermatologist who started her on propanolol. She has been on it for about 5 weeks with little to no results (except that it has not grown anymore). It has ulcerated quite a bit however.
I am wondering if we should also consider laser treatment? Our dr. seems to think that we should wait a couple of years, but I am not sure. Any advice is appreciated. We are located in the Washington, DC area.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0533.jpg (75.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM

Your daughter is adorable. The good news is that the hemangioma has stopped growing. However, the reason you might not be seeing the shrinking of the h. might be related to how late the propranolol was started. Based on research and reported from families, the successful reduction of the lesions comes from use during the growth phase. It could be that her hemangioma had stopped growing already, so you might not have as much success with propanolol now. I would research what lasers can do for her hemangioma. Being that it is raised, laser might not be an option...but it can be very helpful in healing ulcerations. I would highly recommend contacting Dr. Stuart Nelson on ask the expert list to get his opinion on laser treatment. I would also recommend emailing Dr. Gregory Levitin from ask the expert page as well to get other options and advice. It is likely that surgical excision would be the route to consider. Please feel free to email me if you need any help.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 AM

she is very cute!
I would definitely contact some of the drs. on the expert page- I know how unnerving it is to be at the beginning of this journey - hugs to you guys and your beautiful daughter!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 PM

thanks all! we are taking her to see dr. levitin next week!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Dr Levitin is awesome. She is in the best hands. Come back after you see him and let us know how things are!

Missy