Strawberry birthmark treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM
sommean1 sommean1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Default Strawberry birthmark treatment

Hi,
I am hoping somone can have a look at my son's birthmark & advise what course of action you would recommend.
He is 14 weeks old and his mark seems to be growing quite quickly.
It is pushing forward his earlobe and his earlobe is enlarged where the mark covers it.
Would you expect a good cosmetic outcome should we let it run it's course, or to see a specialist to consider treatment?
As it is on his ear, we want to follow the course that would leave the least scarring or loose skin, but also want to consider action should it not be resolved by school age.
I have read about all the treatment options - beta blockers, laser etc. Would any of them be appropriate in my sons case?
Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4558.JPG (12.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4565.JPG (14.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4566.JPG (8.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sommean1 : 08-20-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Add photos
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Alexis6278 Alexis6278 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Hi Anne,

My son has the same hemangioma and he is now 30 weeks old. His earlobe is now out of place and the hemangioma is at a stage where it is growing very rapidly. If you haven't already taken him to a specialist, I would suggest you doing so as soon as possible. My pediatrician and dermatologist kept saying just wait and let its run it course and I just didn't feel comfortable with that answer. By the time I found the appropriate specialist, surgery was basically the only option. I just wish I had gone with my gut sooner instead of listening to my pediatrician. My son is scheduled to have surgery in November because the Hemangioma is so large even if it involutes on its own he'd have loose skin and his ear lobe is not in the correct place anymore. I'm not sure what area you live in but you can find a doctor on this site. Let me know if you how your son's birthmark is doing.

-Alexis
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump