Fear of the unknown... - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM

Default Fear of the unknown...

I have a PWS on the left side of my face, i am almost 40 years old. I am currently in therapy for my low self-esteem issues. My therapist has suggested that I go out of the house for at least an hour a day with no makeup. To this day I fear the teasing and staring I endoured doing elementary school. I am seriously scared to death! I would love to hear from anyone dealing with simular issues that can help me to get up the courage to do this...thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left.jpg (27.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Hi

I have a daughter with a facial birthmark and I am trying my best as a mother to implement on her in a younger age to embrace it gracefully. I think and would also like her to think that she is different and it is visually obvious; and she is not like what we see in the mass media everyday so this birthmark gives her a unique opportunity to develop a different outlook in life, accepting and understanding people’s differences; a more matured outlook then mine while growing up I should say. It is an alternative view and I think it is interesting.

So interpreting this in to your situation, you can look at yourself think positively, forget all the negative thoughts and hide them with beautiful and positive ones. Even it is just 1-hr a day in the beginning, start to force yourself to think differently and have more positive attitude. You are a beautiful lady; it is obvious in the picture. What you need is to bring back your self-esteem and be confident. It might be easier to say but people like to stare anything that is different. Not always with negative thoughts, it can be just out of a curiosity, or maybe they know other people with birthmarks or they just think it is interesting to look at.

I remember reading somewhere that a person with a red facial birthmark was saying that some people are born with white, black, brown or yellow skin and mine is red & white. So if you accept it as your skin color rather then it is a patch on your white skin, it would be another angle to look at yourself.

You already look beautiful; just add a touch of happiness and positive thoughts with a big smile on your face when you go out then you will shine! All the best : )
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Hi,

I am 32 years old woman. I have a birthmark on my right cheek: from the eye brow down to the lip, plus some assymetry.
I experience feeling down from time to time and I know very well how it can feel being different and without make up.
I always cover my birthmark with foundation, even if I am alone at home (so I can open the door,or a friend may pop in for some tea..)...however, I started recently feeling ok being "skin naked" if I am home with a friend.
Once, I stayed over at my frind's house and had to go home by metro without make up...and surprisingly, it was fine...no staring or wispering....

So may be its's not how we look like but our participation of negative reaction from people that makes it difficult to relax and be yourself?!

Personally, being a woman and have an option of using make up, why not?! If it makes me feel good about myself and gives self esteem. But even if I don't have make up on - it doesn't stop me from enjoying mylife: I have great friends, family and my personal life is just fine. As any other 32 y.o.woman.

Keep your spirit up,
Wiht or without make up - it's your life and your deserve the best,
Regs,
Alessya