Nevus of Ota? - Page 6 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Default naevi of ota

Hello, im 35yrs old and been suffering from Naevi of ota since birth, its really got my confidence level down, i dont feel as pretty as the people im around, im tired of people asking me question about being hit or if i have a black eye, i really dont like wearing to much make up but that seems to help some, im now using dermablend, which is ok but the mark still come through. I hate taking pictures because it looks as if i have a blackeye. Im now also trying a fade cream called meladerma which i know wont work but just trying. Its nice to see that im not alone. May i add i am a african american female, and dont understand why i had to have this mark.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Hi...all...i also the same victim of nevus of ota.Good to see you here its good method to share our personal feelings...
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 AM

Default Nueva of Ota

I am so excited that I found a name for this thing that has been bothering me for 6 years. I'm a 20 year old African American woman and I recently (less than 6 years) found out anything about the nevus of ota. I wasn't born with it I just noticed a dark blue ish black mark around my right eye when I was 15 or 16 I got myself to belive that I might have been hit by a ball. I'm looking for treatment next year 2013 but I want to know what works for everyon,?? I've never been a fan of makeup but MAC does the trick no one even nitices & it's water proof let me know how treatments went for everyone!!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 AM

Hi all.....wishing to all of u.....very happy new year 2013....
God bless to all.....may be this year ll get something change us n given confidence to comeout with nevi of ota. ......
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 AM

I am 31 with nevous of ota as well. I did have one laser treatment and it did not respond at all. The dermatologist said that he had never seen no response to the Q switched laser treatment with the nevous of ota. Maybe because I am not Asian. I am light skinned black women. I have notice that it is spreading as I age. I have to wear makeup to avoid the "what happened to you questions". I wish there was something else to try.....
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM

I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with my birthmark. I have similar characteristics on the right side of my face as others in this forum have mentioned: blue eyeball, blue/grey coloration below the eye and on the temple.

As a kid, I was aware of my birthmark because others made me aware of it by pointing out that I was abnormal or that I wasn't like all of the other little girls. The worst for me was having adults asking if I was beaten by my parents. It's definitely traumatizing, but it's only now that I've realized it's affected my life and the way I perceive the world.

I had yearly check-ups with an optometrist but even then, not one doctor mentioned what I had and I didn't care enough to ask. It wasn't until I got into college that I was diagnosed with Sturge-Weber Syndrome. The only thing is that I don't have any of the other symptoms that usually go with the disease; I just have the birthmark, so that's led me to believe that it's just the Nevus of Ota and hopefully, in the future, I don't get those other symptoms.

As an (sort of) adult at 22, I've become more and more obsessed with the idea of getting my birthmark removed, but I don't know if it's even worth it. I'd love to get in contact with someone in this forum just to talk because I've never met anyone who has the same birthmark as me. I feel like I could use the moral support! Thanks.

Here's my email if by chance anyone would like to chat: cbeltran3@gmail.com

Last edited by bbones23 : 01-14-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

My daughter was born with a Nevus of Ota birthmark in her eye and on the side of her face. We began laser treatment with her at 15 months old and she had 7 treatments spread out over every 3 months with excellent results and no scarring. We went to the Beckman Laser Institute & Medical Center at UCI. Our doctor was as follows:

They are excellent with children as well.

Dr. Kristen Kelly who is also an Associate Professor at UCI. Here is her contact info.
kmkelly@uci.edu

I hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM

Default Nevus of Ota

Hi,

My name is Shannon. I am a black woman with medium-dark skin. I too have Nevus of Ota. It started to develop on my right cheek when I was about 5 or 6. I was officially diagnosed with it when I was about 7; I'm now 42. As I got older, it grew and now covers the entire right side of my face. So one side of my face is a the color of caramel, the other is caramel sprinkled wth chocolate chips (lol); it also looks like I have a black eye. Although there were quite a few times when I had to explain my face to people, I didn't start feeling like I was different until I was about 23 or 24. Not because people made me feel that way; because I never really looked at myself critically until then. I had gained weight from having children, so in my eyes, everything about me looked disfigured/distorted.

I've had NoO for what seems like all of my life, so I'm pretty much okay with it. Recently (within the last year) I discovered make-up that covers it pretty well without making me look dead, and I liked the way it made my face look. Now, I wear make-up almost everytime I leave out of my house. Although my friends and family think I look very pretty with the make-up, they tell me that they feel the same when I don't wear make-up. For me, however, covering my "birthmark" gives me a boost of confidence that I don't think I had before. It also keeps me from having to explain my face.

Last edited by MSunshine : 02-22-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Forgot some info I wanted to share.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Question nevus of ota

I was born with my Nevus of Ota I am African-American and Caucasian. I just want to share with others my experiences. Also I am adopted and just found out my real heritage but that too is obscure. I have not ever met anyone with my birthmark that looks just like a black eye.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM

Unhappy Nevus Of Ota

Hey guys,

I am 21 years old and I just found out yesterday that my birthmark is called Nevus of Ota. The name itself kind of scared me. I have been constantly asked "who hit you?" "are you okay?", also been told "who is he? So we can whoop his a%$", etc. Because my birthmark looks like a black eye since it is located on my left eye. Does anyone else have it? I have so many questions because no one in my family has it except me. I wonder how and why would I be the only one to have it when no one else in my family does and I have a pretty big family. I just hate being questioned about it. I used to be made fun of growing up because of it. Is there anything other than laser treatment to get rid of it or at least lighten it?? All responses welcome. Thank you!