Child or adult on maintenance treatments? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 10-20-2005, 04:45 PM
alexasmommy

Default Child or adult on maintenance treatments?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a child on laser maintenance treatments, or any adults here. If so, what made you decide to switch to maint? Did you use different lasers?How much overall fading have you seen? Once a year or twice a year treatments? How many tx's did you have before you went to maint?Thanks so much for any insight you can give.
Elena
Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 PM

Elena, with my current doc, I'm on "maintenance" treatments. We use the same lasers, but vary the intensity as needed. I go in every 6 months to a year (I also to self-checks at home). So far I've only needed 1 treatment, but that was about 1.5 years after my last treatment. That treatment progressed the same way my 'normal' treatments did.

I was more or less 'forced' to start maintenance treatments as my doc's lasers had done all they could do without risk of scarring. I'm currently working on trying to get a second opinion.

Hope this helps...
~Eri

Last edited by erih : 11-13-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM

Hello! I am wondering the same thing...after the treatments are done how much fading is seen typically in infancy (I have a 7 month old). Then how often are maintenance typically? I am just worried b/c of GA. thanks!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 PM

I went at least twice a year as maintenance treatments until my mom got cancer. Then my family couldn't pay for both treatments. Anyways I always had them, once in the summer and once in the winter. (my favorite time was the winter because it cooled down my face so much, without having to put ice on it after the treatment.) On me specifically, I had over 30 surgeries and it helped. I still have large amounts that are very red but I know what it would have been like without treatment. When I was little before my surgeries I met a lady that was 30 and she had a port wine stain like mine and it was so bad and she said hers looked like mine when she was little. I cried for days after that. Because one side of her face sagged and was three times the size as the other side of her face. Because I had surgeries mine still looks like it did when I was younger with some swelling and sagging. But the other side of my face there are spots where my birthmark was and it is no longer there. I love to look at those spots. I also started out being put to sleep for the treatments but once I almost didn't wake up so I would say the last 15-20 treatments I was awake for. The doctor always said I was her strongest patient. Having the most treatments, without going under, and always having the most "lazer dots" (as we called them) in the whole hospital. Remember ever case is different, but having maintenance treatments isn't so bad, as long as you have the same doctor and nurses like I did. =)
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 AM

I saw that you have surgery instead of laser to treat PWS. Could you tell me what kind of surgery and if it leaves scar?
My daughter has PWS on face too. Thanks in advance.