Guilt trip over laser treatments - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Unhappy Guilt trip over laser treatments

Hello all. This goes out to all the parents out there, especially moms. Sorry if I make this a little long but I have no one who can relate to this so I figured I'd post here. I have an almost 8 month old daughter named Alana with a PWS that covers the entire left side of her face. She had her first laser treatment a week and a half ago in irvine with dr. Nelson. The area is no longer black and blue but there is still allot of bruising.
My family never really supported my decision to pursue laser treatments, they said if that's the way god made her then that's the way she should stay. I decided to do this anyway to give my daughter the best shot at a normal life. I thought I was doing the right thing. Anyway after the first session my mom was shocked at Alana's appearance. Since then I've heard nothing but bad comments from them.
"Look what they've done to that poor baby"
"You should keep her locked in the house so no one has to see her face"
"This is only gonna make her look worse than it already does"
"Why are you making her suffer through something that's not necessary?"
And the one comment that really hurt was the one someone said behind my back.
"They should make her(me) go somewhere and have someone burn off half her face and see how she likes it"

Has anyone else been judged for their decision to have their child treated? How do you deal with the comments? Do you ever feel guilty for making this decision on behalf of your baby? I was so happy when we were approved for treatments but now everyone's making me feel like a horrible mother