Upper lip hemangioma.. Help? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 AM

Default Upper lip hemangioma.. Help?

New to this board! But I am in need of help from people who know what I'm dealing with. So my daughter was born with the tiniest pink line on her lip, looked like nothing... 2 weeks old. It turns red and starts to grow. Now at 5 months old she has little smaller than a pea sized strawberry hemangioma on her upper lip goes across her lip line onto the skin. It's RED and puffy! She's still cute as a button and everyone thinks she's absolutely beautiful which I agree BUT of course I still want it gone lol or at least flatter and lighter in color! If it gets any bigger or puffier it'll block her nose while eating. It hasn't been growing or at least it must have slowed its growth for about a month or so. Went to a pediatrician and he prescribed her triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% cream. He wanted us to apply a coat and cover it 24/7 and apply new coat twice a day. Um ya she loves her fingers, it's impossible to keep it covered on a wet lip and fingers on the mouth lol so we apply it while she sleeps and he said it was fine and that we should see a size difference in 2 weeks. Well it'll be 2 weeks on Friday and I see no signs of change... He mentioned propranolol if we see no change. I mentioned timolol but he said that timolol needs to be covered after its applied. I hate that it's on the lip cuz I have to be so careful nothing gets in her mouth!!

So anyway I'm sitting here contemplating the propranolol discussion I know we'll have... I'm so hesitant about it. He never mentioned having her admitted to hospital when we start it if we start it. Has anyone had any problems with it with a 4-5 month old? Does it actually help? And how long were they on it for? Again it's a strawberry one that is superficial it seems and it is small. I just want the color to lighten and it to be flat... Disappearing would be an added bonus lol

Sorry that was so long! I just want some help

Thanks in advance!