PHACE Syndrome Tampa, FL - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 AM

Default PHACE Syndrome Tampa, FL

Hi my name is Kristyn. Three weeks after my daughter was born a large facial hemangioma grew on the left side of her face. She has been on propranolol since she was 4 weeks old, she is now 10 months old. She had a mri/mra done last week that showed abnormalities in the blood flow of the brain and neck. It seems like in Tampa, FL NO ONE knows what they are doing. Does anyone have any advice? Trying to figure out what the next steps are. We've thought about taking her to the childrens hospital in Wisconsin. Any thoughts?

Last edited by koneal : 06-18-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

Tampa is a hard area to have a vascular birthmark! There's just no one in central Florida to help, it seems.

What made you choose the Children's Hosp in Wisconsin? Is that choice insurance related, or did you have a specific physician in mind?

Missy
Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 AM

We did some research on best places for PHACE syndrome, Wisconsin and Cinncinnatti were the first ones to come up. I contacted both of them, Wisconsin called me back first. I am totally noticing that its hard. Several mistakes have been made here.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:28 AM

Also I have read great things about Dr. Drolet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, do you know of ANY kind of phace support group. Just would love to talk to another mom that knows what I am going through.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 AM

Hi there! I'm trying to look into this a little more for you. In the meantime, I'm wondering if you've seen these sites:
http://phacesyndromecommunity.org/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PHACE...Y/203907546588

While doing some research, I have noticed what you mentioned about Wisconsin being one of the leaders in this area. You said that they called you back (in your earlier post.) Maybe they could refer you to someone closer to home? I'm not sure if that is possible since there seems to be so few places that actually specialize in it.

A friend of mine has a son with PHACES so I'm going to ask her if she has any recommendations for support groups, etc. and I will get back to you, ok?
I'm sure it must be overwhelming right now and it is a lot to take in. I think it is a great idea to get hooked up with some other moms who are going through the same thing. I'll try to help you with this piece. Hopefully I will get back to you tomorrow. Take care!

Shannon
Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 AM

Sorry it took me a few extra days. You could also look into Denise Metry in Texas I believe. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Shannon