Canada - Saskatchewan - Laser treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 PM

Default Canada - Saskatchewan - Laser treatment

Hi, I have a beautiful 2 month old baby with PWS on his cheek, eyelid and a portion of the forehead. My wife and I have been trying to find a place locally that can perform laser treatments but we have had no luck(We are in Saskatoon). The one laser clinic we went to no longer performs this procedure on infants. They said they would try to find out if there is anywhere else we can go for treatment. After a few weeks, we were advised that they were unable to find a place that would perform the treatments on a child under the age of 8. From my understanding they checked western Canada.

My question is if anyone is aware of any clinics/hospitals that would perform this on a baby in Saskatchewan(or a near by province). It would be nice to find somewhere close, but if need be, we are definitely willing to travel.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

I really think most people will recommend a hospital in Toronto. That's pretty far to travel for you, though. There are a couple of doctors listed in western Canada if you check the list. Many doctors don't like to do laser on such a young baby and you will probably continually get the advice to wait.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Missy
Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info Missy

Do you know why many doctors would suggest to wait? I was under the impression that the earlier you start, the better the results(potentially).
Old 07-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Hi Kertiz,
Our daughter receives treatment for her PWS at Alberta's Children Hospital in Calgary and we see doctors at thier vascular birthmark clinic. The doctor who performs the pulsed dye laser treatments is Dr. McPhalen. There is a very good group there, hope this helps

Last edited by jenjay23 : 07-10-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Most physicians will suggest waiting because to get laser treatment, the child needs to be still. Motionless. There is a small concern about anesthesia in babies, so unless it is critical, they don't suggest it in an infant.

That's why doctors suggest waiting.

Jenjay, thank you for chiming in. Sounds like you've had a good experience there.

Missy
Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Thank you for the info Jenjay. I'm glad to get confirmation that it can be done in Calgary. We have left a voicemail with the Vascular clinic but have not received a response yet. Your info definitely helps.

Thanks to you as well Missy for your info.

I am very happy to have found such a great source of information. Without this forum, we would definitely feel very lost as its been very hard to get any info from anyone.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Keritz,
I have sent you an email with some extra info. I hope it helps and feel free to drop me a line anytime........
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM

I thought I would post an update as to how things are going.

We were able to get a meeting at the Children's Hospital in Calgary back in September. It was a challenge to get a hold of someone, but once we were able to get in contact with the right people, things went quickly and smoothly. We were told at that time we would need to come back in March or April when our baby is closer to the age of 1 to speak to someone in regards to options for treatments.

From our experience, the nearest/best option for treatment for someone in Saskatchewan is the Children's Hospital in Calgary.

Big thanks to jenjay directing us to the Children's Hospital!