hemangioma or pws? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
shan

Default hemangioma or pws?

Hi
I'm new to the forum and I am just trying to determine if my son has a pws or a surface hemangioma. The red/pink marks are on his cheek and under his eye(in a few patches) and they turn white when you touch them. He has had them since birth and they have not changed. They are smooth and flat. We are seeing a plastic surgeon next week but we have never had an official diagnosis. My pediatrician has always just said "wait and see", they will probably fade or go away. I am not bothered by them but I do not want him to be teased when he goes to school. So far when people ask I just say it is a birthmark and that is enough - but as a teacher I know how kids can be! How do I know what his marks are? Do I proceed with laser treatment or wait and see? Help!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: hemangioma or pws?

Hi Shan,

My name is Hank 22 with PWS/SWS on face.

In my opinion from why you discribed the marks it sounds like PWS. The reason it turns white is because PWS is blood in the capulaires and when you touch it you push the blood out. Just like when he is active, angry or anything to get his blood pumping the areas will get darker because the of the cerulation. Do not worry it does not hurt when it gets white or darker, and he does not even know it is happening unless he looks in the mirrir.
That is the only way I can tell with my PWS.

My PWS is very dark red almost purple. I have been doing laser treatment for 17 years.

Your son on the other had is a very lucky guy his marks are not very deep which is a very good thing. I suggest looking for a Dermatologest in your area. I would have to see his marks but I do not think it would take very long for laser treatment to remove it. The V-Beam is the most commin used these days and is very fast, does not scar, and is even safe on infants. The wait and see approch is the last thing you want to do. It will only effect your sons life in a negitive way, trust me I still deal with it on a daily basis.

What state do you live in? Someone on this site probably knows a Derm in your area. If you have not looked at the list of docs on this site yet. It is on the front page under resources. The plastic surgeon might know a good Derm in your area as well.

If you have any other questions please ask we are all here for you.

Hank
Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
shan

Hi again,
Thank-you for your reply Hank. Can you elaborate on the V-beam laser and what laser treatment is like? My little one is 18mths old and is healthy and active. I don't really want him to have a general anesethetic if he can avoid it. I also want to make sure I have as much information as possible so that I can make a well informed decision. I am in Ontario so I did note the Toronto doctor.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:24 PM

It is important that you have an official diagnosis. I would also recommend you see a pediatric Ophthalmologist.

Corinne
Old 05-12-2005, 10:19 PM

I agree with Corinne, You need to find out exactly what type of birthmark your son has and that you also need to see a ophthalmologist to find out if the birthmark is involved some how in the eyes.

The V-Beam Pulse Dye Laser. To get the most info on this laser go search it on MSN or googles. It would be able to explain it allot better then I would.

I have used the V-Beam on my PWS and it took 15 minutes and if you have looked at any of my pictures in the PWS section you will see that it is allot larger then your sons. I bet it would only take about 5 minutes or less to do the treatment. There are ways to go around having your child go under GA. They have numbing creams that work wonders. If you want more info on it you would have to email me hankinco@adelphia.net

Talk to you soon.

Hank