Newborn with PWS/Dallas area - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 11-05-2004, 11:04 PM
momtotrips+1

Default Newborn with PWS/Dallas area

I recently gave birth to triplets, one boy and two girls. One of my daughters has a PWS on her hand that extends into her forearm. I am wondering if anyone can comment of the success of laser treatment on PWS in this area. Also, I have been given two names of doctors in the Dallas area, Dr Lynn Roberts and Dr Jay Burns. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2004, 01:19 AM

Default Re:Newborn with PWS/Dallas area

Hi momtotrips+1,

I have not heard of the two doctors, but you can look to the left of the webpage under resources click on find a physician and then Texas. I am sure there are plenty of doctors in your area.

I do however know of a laser that would be good for your daughter I have used it on my PWS on my face.
It is call the V-Beam Pulse Dye Laser. Ask the two doctors you have mentioned if they use this laser, if they do, you will be set. The laser does not bruise, scared and is not very painfull. When I was useing this laser I drove there myself and back home. By the time I got home this stinging was gone. I am sure they would put your daughter under anastic so it would not be tramatizing for her.

If you have any other questions please ask we are all here for you.

Hank
Old 11-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Jin9084

I have heard of Dr. Burns. There is two different Dr. Burns. I have heard great things about both. they are both in the same area. Congratulations on the arrival of your triplets. I don't live in that area but I know that there is others here that do. I wish you the best and if you have anymore questions ask away.
Jinny
Old 11-07-2004, 08:07 PM

Dr. Burns is a great option for your area. He does a great job reported by his patients. Negative side is that he is often behind schedule.

Corinne
Old 11-08-2004, 12:10 PM
momtotrips+1

Thank you for the responses.

My daughter has an appointment with Dr Jay Burns in January. We're hoping that he will recommend laser treatment to lighten the PWS.

Again, Thanks!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:52 AM
littleredhen

I know of Dr. Jay Burns both professionally and through a friend. He is excellent and highly respected among dermatologists throughout the North and East Texas areas, a man of integrity and professional excellence.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:09 PM

HI and welcome!
I went thru the archives and found these doctor names from previous threads. Hope this helps some.

Dr. Fred Ghali -- Pediatric Dermatologist.
1280 South Main St
Grapevine TEXAS 76051
817 421 3376

**He only treats children.

Dr. Jay Burns in Dallas is top rate.
Dallas Plastic Surgery Institute
Landry Sports Center, Suite 6000,
13411 N. Washington Avenue
Dallas, TX, 75246, USA

Email: annette.langford@dpsi.org
Phone: (214) 823-1978 Fax: (214) 818-4754

Dr. Carol Drucker in The Woodlands

Dr. Friedman in Houston

**also see this doctor on the birthmarks.com list of recommeded doctors. I have seen her name mentioned in the support list.

Lynne Jeanine Roberts, M.D.
7502 Greenville Avenue, Suite 330
dallas, TX, 75231, USA

Phone: (469) 232-9300 Fax: (469) 232-9850

let me know if I can help any further

Lisa
Addie's mom
Mississippi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 PM
hismommmy

Hi Congratulations on the triplets!! We see Dr. Jay Burns. My son has been treated by him for more than a year. He has done wonderful work! If you'd like to talk, please contact me. I'd love to share how the day will go, what to expect or answer any questions.
Erin
planomom@verizon.net
Old 05-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Keelie'smom

Smile Dr Jay Burns

I thought I would give you an alternate view of Dr Burns. Please note that my daughter has a tongue Venous Malformation and I believe her prefers to treat Hemangiomas based on my experience and other postings. Dr Fred Gahli in Grapevine was the doctor that referred us to Dr Burns. Dr Burns was our 5th doctor to see. We went from being told it was a hemangioma to possible cancer of the tongue to ... we don't know...to it's a venous malformation and you need to see Dr Burns. We live in DFW and thought it wouldn't be a problem to get a doctor but we were at our wits end by the time we went to Dr Burns. Upon our visit - probably about 15 - 20 minutes long, we were told by Dr Burns that our daughters venous malformation could not be treated at all and we should wait until she was approx 13 years old (when puberty set in) and her tongue was splitting open before any treatment would be available. He proceeded to quickly tell me that the venous malformation would be painful for her at times - especially when she cried and that she would have speech problems. I left in tears. There was no consolation at all by Dr Burns. Subsequently, I did a TON of research after leaving Dr Burns. I found the Birthmark site (a book I had seen in Dr Gahli's office was online there) and read about Dr Waner. I called Dr Burns office to get the records transferred and his nurse was very ugly about the whole thing. I went to see Dr Waner fairly weary at this point expecting to be told the same as Dr Burns had told us. The response from Dr Waner was, "Not a problem, we can laser it and take care of it. I do it all the time." I couldn't believe my ears. After her first treatment we found that she had not just one VM but 3 and they dipped into her throat and could cut off her airway. Had we left it alone as Dr Burns suggested she could feasibly have had a compromised airway after a severe illness (I could name so many she has gotten) or she could be trached at this point. I thank God I found the birthmark site and Dr Waner. My daughter is now 6 years old and this journey started when she was 2 months old. She is beautiful inside and out and wants to be a doctor when she grows up.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 AM

Smile Port wine stain

Is Dr Waner in the DFW area? I'am currently at my wits end and empathize with your story. thanks