AVM of Right Foot - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 AM

Smile My journey

I am 38 years old and was born with an AVM in my right foot. My parents were told when I was 6 weeks old that I had an AVM and would require surgery in the future. The doctors never gave them any indication of what my future would hold. At 11 years old I began having a lot of trouble with my foot. I had constant pain and ulcers. My parents searched all over the US for help. I began treatment at NYU Medical Center in 1987 by Dr. Robert Rosen. I had several embolizations over several years with little help. I had two toes amputated at two different times trying to save my foot. I got married and had two children; something I was advised not to do. During my two pregnancies, my ulcers and pain went away! Within weeks of giving birth, the pain and ulcers returned. I can not remember how many treatments and surgery I had. I, too, had to have knee and ankle surgery when I was 13 to stop the growth of my right leg. On my 30th birthday, my husband took me to Las Vegas for a vacation. I spent the entire time in the room because the pain was so severe that I couldn't leave the room! I decided then that I was going home to find a doctor to amputate my foot. I was told that for the best fit of a prosthetic, I should amputate 4 inches below the knee. I agreed and had the surgery 5 weeks later. It has been 8 years now and I couldn't be happier. Two years after the amputation, I ran the Indianapolis mini-marathon (13.1 miles). My life is no longer filled with doctor visits and surgeries, pain medication and antibiotics! I am able to be a mother to my children and have no physical limitations. I am not recommending amputation to anyone. It is a very personal decision. One that I made after years of suffering. I came across this website while helping my daughter do a research paper on AVMs. I was amazed to find these stories that were so similar to mine. I wish each of you the best in your journey.