Need info on Dr. Yakes - Page 3 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 PM
PresidentVBF

Default Re: Need info on Dr. Yakes

If Dr. Yakes diagnosed the arm as having an AVM component or being one focal AVM, than it is an AVM. Otherwise, I'm concerned about the diagnosis since rarely is an AVM on an arm...components of an AVM or mixed lesion can be included as part of an overall arm birthmark, but rarely, if ever, is there one focal, localized tumor on an arm that is an AVM. It is usually a VM. An MRI with contrast to enhance the tumor will reveal what it is and should be read ONLY be an expert in reading vascular tumor images. Even a "great" radiologist who doesn't know how to read a vascular tumor image will confuse the diagnosis. Just make sure it is an AVM before treatment. I wrote a paper on AVMs and it is on the cover of our website. Read that before treatment so you know your options.

Linda Rozell-Shannon
President/Founder
Old 06-29-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Need info on Dr. Yakes

That is what went on with my arm, it was first dx by a local doc, as an AVM, I was scheduled for surgery.. and I refused to go until I met with Dr.Yakes, who said it was VM...boy was I glad I didn't go through with surgery...

Kristie