where to stay for Dr. Waner Consult - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 04-08-2005, 10:28 PM
ChristopherM

Default where to stay for Dr. Waner Consult

I FINALLY got a consult with Dr. Waner, and will be making the trip up to NYC from Kentucky late next month. Danielle gave me the name of a couple of potential places to stay near their offices, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I just bought my first home and have student loans, so I am on a VERY tight budget!

Also, I am 31, and my VM is very deeply embedded in my right cheek. Not the bluish VMs you often see (except under my eye), but makes my cheek very large. I've had many surgeries through my childhood, and view Dr. Waner as my last hope to get rid of this thing, at least in part. Most doctors (regular plastic surgeons, not experts on this issue) have told me that it is so deep and near major nerves that there is nothing that can be done. Anyone with any similar experiences, I'd love to hear your story if you can give me a little hope. I just got my appointment, so I'm a bundle of excitement and fear. What can I expect from the consult?
Old 04-13-2005, 02:58 AM
GoBoilers1996

Default Re: where to stay for Dr. Waner Consult

Hi Christopher,

What time is your consult? If it is in the afternoon, you could fly there the morning of the consult. Then you would not have to get an apartment.

We stayed at the Melrose Hotel. It was very nice but cost about $210. I know some of the Mom at http://groups.msn.com/vascularbirthmarksupport/home.htm
have stayed at hotels recommend by Danielle. You might ask them.

Rachel

Ps We are in Indy. What part of Kentucky are in?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:38 AM
ChristopherM

Default Re: where to stay for Dr. Waner Consult

I just made my first post on the MSN group, so hopefully someone will have some recommendations. My appointment is at noon...I think I will check into the price of a plane ticket for the same day.

I'm in Louisville, by the way. I grew up over in eastern Kentucky, went to college in Lexington (go Cats!), and have lived here for over four years. Thanks for your suggestions Rachel!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:55 AM

The Holiday Inn on W. 57th is about $270 per night, the Best Western Presidents Hotel was $311 including tax, and the apartments through Dr. Waners office were $75. The Holiday was the biggest, the Best Western was nice because it's right in the middle of everything and the apartment was the cheapest. They are old and not well taken care of but we didn't care. We only slept there. The toilet didn't flush so we had to pour large bowls of water in it to get it to flush. For some reason there was no water in the toilet. We stayed in a studio #3B. You have to call Cheryl at Dr. Waner's office and she will set them up for you. Everyone that lives or stays in the building are nurses or doctors. We met a nurse that has lived there for 17 yrs. She said she loves it there. It's a good price for Manhattan.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:11 PM

call dr. waners office and speak to Cheryl...she can get you a room across the street for about 100. a night. Very convenient and clean.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 AM

We stayed at the apartments on 10 Amsterdam and it was clean. Not fancy, but living room, bedroom, kitchen and bath. It is a great location too for $100 a night. I would recommend it. You just sleep there.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM
aorourke

Hi,

WARNING: THIS IS LONG, SORRY!

I am a 26 yr old female that has a VM in my left cheek. I have seen doctors all over the country and also Dr. Waner.

I've had this since birth and when I was young it grew and became huge. I underwent several treatments for it including sclerotherapy and embolization.

My VM actually seemed to dissapate as I got older and when I was a teenager it was virtually unnoticeable. When I was 15, I had an epsiode where in a matter of 24 hrs, for no apparent reason my cheek swelled and became filled with blood to twice the size of my face. My doctors treated me with embolization. It took about a year and a half for it decrease in size once again.

Throughout my college years it was again, very small and only slightly noticeable.

I have now noticed in my 20s that it seems more prevalent and noticeable. I have not experienced any other episodes like that of my teenage years, but it is slightly larger.

I had a consultation with Dr. Waner last year because I am just tired of living with it and the way that I look. It causes me great stress and anxiety. I've noticed that as I've grown older my anxiety has become hightened because of my VM.

Back to Dr. Waner. He's great. Although he suggested that I leave it alone for now and not undergo any further treatment at this time. I am frustrated by his suggestions and am planning on setting up a second consulation this year.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Default To ChristopherM and aorourke

Hello,

I also have a VM in my face/cheek area, and after a recent unsuccessful sclerotherapy treatment that resulted in a terrible nerve damage scare, I want to look more seriously into my surgery option. I had a consult with Dr. Waner in 2006 where he told me surgery was an option for the future, but since sclerotherapy was working so well for me at the time, he didn't advise that I have surgery at that time. I will probably revisit the surgery option with Dr. Waner. If you're interested, I just posted a new thread called "VM in Left Side of Face and Nerve Damage", in which I describe my situation in greater detail.

I was wondering how your last consults went with Dr. Waner and how you are each doing? Have you made any decisions since your last posts in this thread? I am very interested to hear from you, as we seem to have similar situations.

Thank you and take care,

Vanessa