My story of living with a Giant Hairy Nevus on my back!! - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Living with a birthmark - my story

Old 05-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Default My story of living with a Giant Hairy Nevus on my back!!

well i'm new to this as i decided it was time to do some research into my birthmark on my back. I was so pleased to find this site as i can now tlk to people who i can relate to.

right so my story begins with me being born with a Giant Hairy Nevus which is basically a huge hairy (thick horse like hair in my case) birthmark.
It was located on my back and began at the top of my spine and stopped at the begining of my bottom.

As a toddler my parents decided to have plastic surgery done to try to get rid of some of the hair and then graft some new skin onto my back. However the skin beneath the hair was heavily brown and so i have brown and white parts on my back which adds a bit of uniqueness to my birthmark i guess .......lol.
Overall i have jad 12 operations on my back and decided when i was 14 i didn't want any more operations because i liked my birthmark as it was.

Growing up was tough which i have read in some of the threads everyone has had to deal with. I hope you are all like me and have learned to grow a very thick skin to these nasty remarks.
I also have an identcal twin who is so pretty it's ridiculous. Sadly i was born with the birth mark and she wasen't, again growing up was tough in the sense that my best friend and twin sis couldn't realte to my situation.

Through the 18 years of having my birthmark i would never have it removed, as i have learned to love it. Although it is annoying always having to wear high necked tops to keep the sun off of my back but u learn to accept it. I love being unique and wouldn't change it for the world.

If u have anything similar to this please get in contact with me as i would really like to know some whom i can relate to.
xx
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM

Default Me too

It was like reading a story about my life. I am 10 years older than you, and your story is my story. I have the SAME EXACT birthmark, placement-wise and everything. I'd love to get in touch with you. You can email me at miranda92480@hotmail.com

I'm really looking forward to hearing from you!

Lisa
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Smile

Hi, i havent got a birthmark but my 8mth old daughter has.... it is on her face (above her left eye) it is brown and hairs grow out of it.
Me and my partner have been to two diff doctors about it and we are getting it removed when she is 12mths+ old.... would love to hear more about other peoples experiences so i have a rough idea of what my baby will be going through. Thank you. Samantha x
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Others will come by soon and share their experiences. I just wanted to give you a welcome. The worst part of the whole thing will probably be the anxiety... most babies come through completely fine!!

Missy
Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha rainford View Post
Hi, i havent got a birthmark but my 8mth old daughter has.... it is on her face (above her left eye) it is brown and hairs grow out of it.
Me and my partner have been to two diff doctors about it and we are getting it removed when she is 12mths+ old.... would love to hear more about other peoples experiences so i have a rough idea of what my baby will be going through. Thank you. Samantha x
hi when i read your quote i was completely overjoyed because i have been searching for info so long my daughter also has the same birthmark she would be 2 in september and i'm scared of what she would go through when she starts school i would like to do something about it but i dont want it to harm her in any way so can u let me know how your daughters removal went please.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 AM

Default my daughters birthmark

my daughter has a hairy dark birthmark over her left eye i would like some information on the removal process and the pros and cons of this procedure as i would not want any complications. is there anyway i can get in contact with samatha rainford seeing that we have similar situation with our daughters that is my email address is starlighttrini21@yahoo.com

Last edited by cherith : 07-08-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Cherith,

Where are you located? Probably you need to take your daughter to a plastic surgeon?

Missy
Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 PM

yes but i live in trinidad (west indies) and i dont know of any experience surgions who r familiar with these kinds of cases i want the best results possible if i have to go aboard i would.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 AM

best of my knowledge birthmark wise Dr Vijay Narinesingh? is the closest to anything vascular

try this email for Dr Lalla: ravindralalla@aol.com and Dr. Lushington missions-international@usa.net Dr Lushington in particular has an organisation that handle some special cases. I met him once when i was attempting to source help for myself.

Dr Lalla seems very knowledgable about birthmarks. I was impress. I don't know if he's still down in sando. i have not been in touch with him for a while. Had no good news to give him but he was very nice. i am not sure what his speciality is.

send a picture and i hope they can help you. or just go to Mt Hope

Last edited by kaykay : 07-10-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 AM
s_haimen

i was born with a giant hairy nevus on my shoulder and back.