scarring from laser treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 06-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Ryansmom

Default scarring from laser treatment

My son Ryan has a PWS on the left side of his face. He started laser treatments when he was six months old (hes now 18 months). His last treatment was in February. His last treatment caused two small scars. They look like chicken pox scars. I was wondering if this has happen to anyone else? If so did the scars fill in or fade?? I'm scared to continue his treatments. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Thank You
Stacey
Old 06-28-2005, 05:09 AM
kimberlyann

Default Re: scarring from laser treatment

Hi Stacey! I too scarred from my laser treatment. I was about 12 at the time, I'm now32, It is a small spot about the size of a nickel and it has never gone away, it did fade slightly. I wear make-up so it isn't that noticeable but I didn't continue treatment after that and haaven't since. I actually just made an appt. with dr. waner and am willing to try again. Are the Drs. telling you to continue? My situation was alot of years ago, I'm sure much has changed.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:22 PM

Hi Stacey,

Welcome to the group.

My name is Hank 23 with PWS/SWS. Nobody know this on this site but my middle name is Ryan.

My first question for you is what laser are they using on Ryan?
I have used allot of laser in the 18 years I have had laser treatment. The only one that scarred was the 1064 um Coolglide Yag laser. (it was still in expermental stages and I was well informed that it would scar) After it healed it did fill in and it just looked like a few zits on my lip.

The V-Beam Pulse Dye Laser is the most actively used laser out there. I have used this laser myself and it is very good. It is safe on infants as well. It has never scarred either that I have heard of. If it did it probably would be users err.
If this is the laser you have been using I would strongly suggest finding a new doctor in the resource at the top of this page.

Let me know if you want more info.

Hank
Old 07-01-2005, 03:34 AM
Rosie

Stacey,
This happened to Samuel too. There was a spot where they hit Samuel with the laser and it scabbed over. He has a scar there now. His doctor told me that it is very important to keep it moist with plastibase or aquafor while it is healing so it doesn't scab.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:36 AM
annie65

I have scarring from the argon laser - I was about 18 yrs old when had the surgery (now I am 40 yrs old, but since I have used the pulse dye laser which I don't believe caused any of the scarring.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:24 AM
pinky

I have a PWS in my chin and lower lip (pinkish purple !). I had my first treatment at 22 with the Argon laser and not only it didnīt remove my PWS it also left me with a horrible keloid just below my lip, and also made the lip even more swollen. Now I am 34 and the scar is still there. My advise is, be careful !!!!!!!!!!

After several years that I could overcome my fear to lasers, I had a go with the Candela and it was perfect, if only I had discovered it before the Argon :-[

Now I am starting a new treatment with the KTP. Had my test patch 2 days ago, hope it works !!!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 PM

Hi Pinky,

First of all welcome to the group.

I am a 23 year old with facial PWS. Unforuntly the Argon laser was widely used back in those days. I only had one treatment with one a few years ago knowing it was highly risky of scarring but the machine was still in expermental stages. Of course it scared my lip in the testing zaps that they did but I figured if it ever removes a birthmark someday it was worth me getting scared. The best part is after having debulking done on my lip the plastic surgeon removed the scar. ;D

Other then that one laser treatment I have been doing laser treatment with pulse dye lasers (candela) for the past 18 years. The V-Beam is the third one I have used and I think it is great. It is a lot faster and safer then all the older models.

I hope that the KTP treatment helps. I have not heard of it what does it stand for?
Does your PWS have any hypertrophia (puffy or thickness) on it? If so laser treatment is not the most effect way to get it removed. Debulking/ plastic surgery was my only option in my case. If you want to see picture you can visit my website www.hankspws.com Dr. Waner did a great job. I only had three surgeries all of which where last year.

Again I hope your treatment works for you.

Talk to you soon.

Hank
Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Hi Friends I Am New On This Group I Will Have Debulking Surgery On My Right Upper Lip On October 18 2010 And Yag Laser For The Cobblestone And Dye Laser For The Portwine Stain I Have On My Face Hope Everything Goes Fine, A Little Nervous But I Think Its Normal. If Somebody Have Had Some Debulking With Dr. Waner Please Let Me Know What Were The Results. Thank You!