Total Cost of Surgery With Dr. Waner - Lymphatic Malformation - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Additional Resources > General Resources

Old 07-25-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Total Cost of Surgery With Dr. Waner - Lymphatic Malformation

Hi - I am new to this site and just trying to find my way around. Not even sure if I'm posting in the right place. We just had a surgical consult with Dr. Waner for our 2 1/2 year-old daughter, Jacqui. She has a large LM on the right side of her face and neck. Dr. Waner told us that the surgery would be 8-10 hours long and that she would likely spend one night in Ped's ICU, and 4-5 days total in the hospital. Does anyone have a rough idea of the total cost of a surgery like this, including the hospital portion? We are also curious about how the hospital apartments work. If Dr. Waner wants us to stay in NY for a period of time after being discharged from the hospital before clearing her for travel, can you still stay in the apartments, or would we need to stay elsewhere after her discharge? I would be grateful for any info anyone would be willing to share. Thanks.

Last edited by jacquismom : 07-24-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Total Cost of Surgery With Dr. Waner - Lymphatic Malformation

Hi jacquismom,

Welcome to the site, and yes you are in the right spot.

You are looking at a pretty big bill. For my plastic surgery on my PWS that lasted 31/2 hours long cost me $12,800 from just Dr. Waner. With the hospital bill and all cost me so far $23,000. I only spent one night in the hospital. The hospital cost about $3,000 a day at Roosevelt.

Ok the hospital apartments:
Yes they have apartments, and they are very cheep too. You will have to contact Danielle (Dr. Waner's office manager), she can request to see the availbality of the apartments. They have studios for $75, one bedrooms for $100 and two bedrooms for $125.

I hope this helps and if you would like any more info let me know.

Hank
Old 07-26-2005, 04:21 AM

Thanks - That helps me begin forming a rough idea of what is ahead. I had been guessing that the hospital bill itself would be in the $30,000 range. I was kind of ballparking that Waner's, Persky's (an ENT that Waner wants to have managing the part of the surgery involving Jacqui's airway), and the anesthesiologist's bill combined would be in the 60-$80K range. We were guessing that a 2-3 week total stay in NY combined with our airfare would be in the $7,000-$10,000 range - depending on whether or not some of that will have to be spent in a more expensive location than the hospital apartments and how long we will have to stay.

Our primary insurance will cover everything the hospital bills at in-network rates and then the surgeon's and anesthesiologist's bills at 80% of 'usual and customary'. That seems to translate to about 60 - 65% of the actual cost. Looks like we've got some fundraising ahead of us.

I would still love to hear from as many people as possible on this and if anyone knows if you are allowed to stay in the hospital apartments after discharge until you are cleared for travel.

Thanks again Hank - if you have any additional pointers, tips or bits of wisdom you have picked up through your experience that you don't mind sharing, I would love to hear about them.

Shelly
Old 07-26-2005, 05:13 AM

You might want to tack on at least 2,000 more for travel expenses. In one week we spent about 2,000 on just cab fares.
Danielle (Dr. Waner's office manager) would be able to tell you how long you could stay in the apartments.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Hank

Old 07-27-2005, 10:21 PM

Wow! Was that just to and from appointments and airports? I guess we hadn't really thought through all of the potential times we might be using a cab. Jacqui's surgery will be at Beth Israel Petrie Division - Are the apartments within walking distance, or is a cab more realistic? I will be talking with Danielle about details early next week.

Shelly
Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 PM

I guess it really depends on how much site seeing you will do.It cost about $30 to $40 by myself, with a tip, one way with little traffic to get from LGA airport down to China town (where one of my hotels where). Which is almost one side of town to the other.
Danielle would be able to tell you a better distance from the apartment you stay at since they have more then one. Some are walking distance and others you would have to take a cab.

Hank
Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 PM

Wow, large bills!

I'm thinking of going to see Dr. Waner in the near future (stupid question: Does he speaks English? His name seems to be German, and he's in Germany a lot), I hope the insurance campany will pay it, or else it will be very expensive for my parents.

I have an Cystic Lymphatic Malformation, and I'm thinking of letting it removed all the way (I'm having a Pulsed Dye Lasertreatment in Holland at the moment in het AMC, Amsterdam). It now will only go away abose the skin, not below. So it can grow back (watch my profile for a picture). I hope not so...

Thanks for your information, Hank!

(EDIT)
I dind't knew I was posting in a two year old topic...
Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Hi Iris,

It's OK if you post in an old topic... it moves them to the top and Hank is around enough that he will probably answer you.

Could you see Dr. Waner when he's in Germany? (He does speak English, yes, and I *believe* he is from South Africa, but I may be mistaken)

Could you see a physician in Europe? You might want to try to start a dialogue with our european expert, Dr. Tombris, and see if he can give you any information.

http://birthmark.org/experts.php

Take care!

Missy
Old 03-25-2007, 01:01 PM

Thank you!

I'm currently seeing a dermatologist in Holland, he's treating my CLM with the Pulsed Dye Laser. Maybe, if the treatment doens't help (I hope not so!) I'll see Dr Waner for another treatment/ ideas of how they can remove my CLM (Cystic Lymphatic Malformation).

Thank you very much for your information! I can visit Germany, it's not a problem with travelling (I have family living in Germany, I'm Dutch).

I first will ask my dermatologist Dr. Wolkerstorfer what his ideas are with the removal of the CLM (ask him what he can do with the micro-macrocyste), then I maybe go to see Dr Waner.

Greetings from Holland,
Iris

(How is my English?)
Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Your english, like most europeans, is fabulous!!

Keep us updated on what your dermatologist recommends and let us know how it goes.

Missy