MY PWS... - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Lucy784

Default MY PWS...

I have never opened up to anyone about my PWS. Mine is located on the right side of my face underneath my eye and goes down all the way to my lip and is about 1'' in diameter and is a deep red. When I was born, it covered nearly 75% of the right side of my face. I was treated as a baby by Dr. Milton Waner (I was one of his first patients in Arkansas). I am now currently seeing Dr. Stewart Nelson at the Beckman Laser Institute in Irvine, CA, and have had over 40 laser surgeries....and counting. I get the surgeries now maybe twice a year (with the V beam laser)... (it is very hard to get them done because of the healing..it takes about two weeks to get back to "normal"). I am a 20 year old college student and I live up in San Francisco. I would like to meet other people who have PWS. I am interested in talking to people and finding out new and improved ways to try and treat them/cover them. If you want a picture let me know (I am an expert in covering it..you might not believe that it is there...however, after the makeup is removed it is noticible). Usually, my PWS does not bother me, don't get me wrong I wish it did not exist...however, I do realize that there are bigger issues in this world, I am healthy and able to perform daily activities. I do not let ignorant people get to me (I am usually pretty sassy if they every say anything..and usually take it a little personal..who wouldn't?). I have learned to deal with it and why I am different than all the other people. When it does bother me, I try and realize and think about how it has shaped me into a better person and how it plays a role in who I am today and how I treat others who are "different".

I am new to this post! and just wanted to say HI....
-Cassie
Old 11-01-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: MY PWS...

Hi Cassie,

First of all welcome to the group. Thank you for shareing with the group. I met Dr. Nelson at the conference in New Port Beach last month. He is a good man. I have also been to Sanfransico a few years ago. A very nice area.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your PWS. You can attach it right onto your posting if you would like or email me personally.
I totally agree with you. Haveing a birthmark defently makes you think about other people, and makes you a better person because you have had to put up with more things in the past. School is not the easiest when people are making fun of you day in and day out. You made it thru high school so you will be just fine.

I have used the V-beam as well. It takes you two weeks to heal from laser treatment? Wow.
When ever I have had it I was fine after a week.
Dr. Waner is a very nice man. I wish you could have been at the conference last month he was there.

Thank you again for shareing with the group about how you deal with your PWS and I will talk to you soon.

Hank