My Story - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Living with a birthmark - my story

Old 02-27-2006, 03:08 AM
TPC

Default My Story

Hi all, great site. Thought it would be good to share my story, since most don't know*

I'm 18 and have a hemangioma on my chest/back. It's pretty large, in comparison with others that I've seen. It isnt one solid mass, about 4 or 5 "continent" looking pieces on my chest, and some lighter areas on my side. It kinda looks like a map* ;D As a result, as most people here know, there are always stares when going to the pool, or anytime where a shirt is off. Some think I've been hurt, others think its a "shark bite".* : It really hasnt bothered me too much; I kinda think its cool and makes me a little unique. Recently, though, its started to sore in some of the concentrated parts and hurt. They've gone away, but sometimes they resurface. I've always concidered having laser to remove it, especially now that I'm going to college. I wanted to know some feedback from people who have been through some type of laser and their experience.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: My Story

Hi TPC,

I am a 23 year old with facial PWS (Port Wine Stain) birthmark. I know what you mean by people always staring, and asking questions.

I could not tell you why the areas are starting to get sore, but do suggest finding a Dermatologist in your area. If you go to the top of this page under resources and then find a doctor in your state.

If you can not find any doctors let use know and someone on this site might know of a doctor in your area.

I also have been doing laser treatment on my PWS for the past 18 years, and have used four different machines. I recommend the V-Beam pulse dye laser. That is the most effective that I personnally have used.

Hope this helps and hope to talk to you more later.

Hank