Relationships - Page 2 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 05-11-2006, 12:57 PM
karing2

I just registered on this forum and I am excited that I am not the only one with the same feelings. I too never had a serious boyfriend in High school and college.... it was until two years ago that i met my Fiance and he is absolutely wonderful loves every part of the birthmark (which covers the left side of my face) and was the first person to actually kiss it. I never thought about it but also count my PWS as a blessing that it made me the person that I am...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:47 AM

Hi everyone,
My name is Jen,I am 25 year old and I have a portwine stain on the left side of my face. I guess I have been lucky in the relationship department. I am happily married to a gorgeous man who excepts me and loves my birthmark. I believe there is a person for everyone.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:18 AM

hello everyone,

relationships. hmmm.

I'm 28. I have a portwine stain on the left side of my face, covering most of my cheek, chin, bottom lip, left ear, neck, part of my chest and parts of my head. I also have a patch on my back but its always remained flat. Unlike my face.

I do not have much relationship expeirence but as far as I can remember, I've had more come ons from older men than males in my own age bracket. They tell me how beautiful I am. Or maybe I gotta stop hanging out in bars

Personally I think some caution is needed when getting into relationships. I had a very casual relationship many years ago. I just liked him, he liked me, that was it. We met up again, he's married, unhappy. Looking for someone safe on the side.

While it was very flattering, its a dangerous road to go down. Having insecurities about your looks, wondering how can someone really love you, low self esteem, an offer like that can really go to your head. Personally I'm looking for a lot more than what he wanted, and I have someone very special in my life that I hope to be my future for the rest of my life.

So ladies, gentlemen, we all gotta take risks, take chances, because thats how we grow and i grew a lot from my expeirence. But just becareful, as you might already know, when we have our down days, don't be tempted by the wrong paths.

To those with their special someones, I'm really happy for you all !

kaykay
Old 05-27-2006, 06:29 AM
Anna

Default essons in life

Dear Kaykay!

Good for you! As a person with severe insecurities and self-esteem, it was a major shock for me to have an infant daughter with the facial hemangioma. Seemed as if the higher powers decided to make me stronger through her. At times I cry and wish it was I with the birthmark and not my beautiful child. Other times I take her to the mall in the straller for all to see and I feel proud having her as a daughter. Dealing with her birthmark made my spirits solid.

Anna
Old 05-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Anna

Default Surprising lessons in life

Dear Kaykay!

Good for you! As a person with severe insecurities and self-esteem, it was a major shock for me to have an infant daughter with the facial hemangioma. Seemed as if the higher powers decided to make me stronger through her. At times I cry and wish it was I with the birthmark and not my beautiful child. Other times I take her to the mall in the straller for all to see and I feel proud having her as a daughter. Dealing with her birthmark made my spirits solid.

Anna
Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 AM
Vegeton

Hey, I'm Kevin. I'm 18 years old and have systic lymphangioma with frog spawn and scars from surgery on my right side, I'm told I'm lucky to have it on my side and not my face but it's still not something I like having. I've had very bad self-esteem and confidence issues about my appearence over the years because of it and changing for gym class was fearful for me because I never wanted anyone to see it. But relationship wise, every girl I've dated hasn't had a problem with it and my current girlfriend of nearly two years has come to terms with it even asking to touch it and she's always been there for me when I've hit it or felt bad about it. I've yet to date someone who thought it was gross or weird.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:53 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to say thank you for your post. It shows that not everybody is judgemental. I am glad you have not had any problems in this department. Now you just need to work on your confadence and your self-esteam. I am only 24, but because of my facial PWS and now going blind, I have learn to not let the comments get to me. Let it go in one ear and right out the other. First step I think is for you and your girl friend to go out and find yourself some styleing shorts and wear them around town and find out how many people really do pay attention. I think you would be suprised that because of the location you probably will not get as many questions, looks, stares as you think you would. I get them daily trust me, but I turn it into a educational topic so that normally scars them off pretty quickly unless they are interested LOL.

Thanks again for posting and look forward in hearing more about you.

Hank
Old 06-22-2006, 03:21 AM
Vegeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankbartenbach
I think you would be suprised that because of the location you probably will not get as many questions, looks, stares as you think you would.
True, I do live in Montreal. There's a lot of strange and different people here so I probably wouldn't stand out all that much heh heh. But thanks for your advice Hank!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Jim Devier

Default 6 tx. and counting

Thought I'd give an update: like it says,6 treatments and counting. I'd decided i needed to get something done when my pws ( which had started growing about 4 years ago) started getting in the way of the sight picture of my left eye. spent about 5 months researching docs and found one that looked like he could help. NOT an easy job finding someone that could actually make a diff- not just trust what the rep says his laser would do. I cannot emphasize how important it is to get the right doc. I met a man at the docs who had recieved pdl treatments off and on for 16 years with virtually no effect. He was 14 treatments down there and the thing was just about gone. I haden't realised the improvement untill his mother came in while I was sitting there waiting on the numbing creme. she had pictures of the whole process and it blew me away. after 54 years you kind of get used to the dsmn thing being there. kinda unsettling wondering if you really look like the grinch after its gone. Jim Devier ps. for the docs info e-mail me
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 AM
jonas11074

Hi everyone. I do not have a birthmark, but my mother had one. I have been dating a woman who has a birthmark, but she broke it off without offering any clear explanation shortly after I told her about my family. I'm sure there could be plenty of reasons, maybe she's simply not into me anymore. But I'm wondering if my past is a factor behind her decision.

I loved her not because of her birthmark, but because we really connected with each other intellectually. We had similar sense of humor, and we understood each other instinctively. She's beautiful, I'm physically attracted to her, birthmark or not, and I never gave her special treatment. I don't claim to fully understand what it's like to be her, but at the same time I feel I could be there for her, from my own experiences.

So I am wondering: what are the odds of a couple like us giving birth to a child born with a birthmark? And how would you feel about being in a relationship with someone like me -- someone who has had past experiences in living those who have birthmarks? Do you see this as a positive thing, or does that make you question my reason for wanting to be together?

Thank you so much if you can share any thoughts on this.