ask help-- lower lip treatment - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 AM
qinyao

Default ask help-- lower lip treatment

My daughter has port wine stain on her lower lip and it gets swelling and easy bleeding. Who can give me any suggestion? I very appreciate it.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:24 PM
katerina

Default Re:ask help-- lower lip treatment

all you can do is to try and keep it clean and also try putting some baby oragel (the gel you use on gums when teething) to num the area for some temperary relief.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:22 AM
petrina

my son has a pws on his face and has been treated since the age of one he is now 10. the mark goes on to half of his lips and that side is swollen he is to have an operation when he is 11 to reduce the size of it and then have lazer treatement on it to reduce the colour you should go to great ormond street hospital to have it done they are wonderful
Old 02-23-2004, 08:23 PM
qinyao

Petrina,
Thank your very much for your reply. Could you tell me the doctor's name, phone number, and address?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 AM
petrina

Default Re: ask help-- lower lip treatment

sorry for the long delay lost the site.
my son goes to great ormond street hospital in london uk but he is only seeing a plastic surgeon so i expect any plastic surgeo could do a lip reduction . he is having a small cut made inside his lip and the fat taken out to make both lips the same size then it sowed up. you should be able to ask the person who is doing the lazer treatment they should be able to recomend someone to do it for you
Old 10-09-2005, 10:18 PM
clairesmum

Hi Petrina

I think I was your son's photos on the personal web pages on birthmarks.com I was really interested because my daughter's bottom lip is very similar. Not as large yet. She is only 3. We saw a plastic surgeon earlier this year and he said they could de-bulk at the age of 5 if necessary because of appearance but also if it starts to impede with her speech.

Has your son had any problems with speech because of his lip? When did you notice it really starting to grow or was it just gradual over the years?

Your help is really appreciated.
Catherine (Claire's mum 3yo facial pws)
Old 10-10-2005, 04:41 PM
petrina

yes my sons face is on birthmarks.com
he has always had a slightly larger lip on one side but ever year it has got larger now 11 he has trouble with it bleeding during the night or if it does bleed it takes forever to stop.
when he was 2-3 years he used to dribble and had to wear a plastic backed bib to stop getting a rash on his chest, they said he had no feeling in his lip to stop the dribble. but he says he can but he does feel people look at that more than his mark as it makes him look like he is sad or sulking.
our hospital has told us he could not have the treatment until at least age 11 becasue they dont like to do it until they are nearly fully grown.
although he is going for his 12th operation tommorrow at great ormond street hospital in london. uk and we are going to ask about getting on the waiting list to have it done as he feels it is now getting bigger quicker, and he does mumble alot when talking, how many operations has you little girl had so far, we started at age 1 and had about 1 a year, it would be nice to find a laser that could go deeper as the cheek does not seem to be going much but his neck is good.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:51 PM
clairesmum

Hi

Claire has had 9 tx's so far. She had her first at 6mths and the last one 4 weeks ago (just before her 3rd birthday). We may be on hold now until about 5 or so. Her b/mark was very dark around her nose and chin area, and it has faded lots. Her cheek area has not really faded too much. When we started out with all this, I read that the more flesh under the skin, the harder for fading to appear. It must have something to do with the flesh.

I will one day get to setting up Claire's website on birthmarks.com I am thinking November is a good time to put aside my business work and get into things for the kids.

All the best for your son's next visit to the hospital. I have a lot of English friends, here in Australia and they all speak highly of Great Ormond St Hosp.

Catherine (claire's mum - facial pws 3yo)
Old 12-03-2005, 12:05 PM
petrina

hi again,

we have just been for our appointment at great Ormond street hospital in London about Russell's lower lip.

we have been offered for them to do the operation in February 2006, which is great we did not expect it so quick.
they said that they can make it normal as it is not too larger a size which is fantastic, Russell is looking forward to it but he will have to have 2 weeks off school and upto 3 months getting over it as he will have trouble eating on that side etc .
it will also be quiet swollen for a while, we were offered January but we are going to Disneyland 1st of February so we said no as it would spoll the trip.
hope all is well you end .
will show you pictures after treatment he may need another one when he is 18 or so depending on weather it regrows or not, some do and some dont we will just have to wait and see.
each hurdle at a time i think.

best wishes and have a good Christmas
Petrina and Russell
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
clairesmum

Dear Petrina

That is great news. It sounds like it will be full on when he has the op. Hears to fast healing and not too much pain. Let us know how it all goes in Feb.

Also have a fantastic trip to Disneyland (are you going to France or USA)? I went to California about 14 years ago, and now would love to take my kids to see it all. Enjoy it, I know you both will.

Merry Christmas, hopefully a white one for you, we will be enjoying? the heat and sun, and will need to ask ourselves to someone's place with a pool, or sit in the air conditioner all day, relaxing.

Best wishes
Catherine, Claire and family