Any experiences with sclerotherapy? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > AVM Help > AVM Help and Resources

Old 03-11-2005, 07:35 AM
B-girl

Default Any experiences with sclerotherapy?

Hi,
I am new here, I am 25 years old and have a venous malformation on my cheek since I am 13. up to now it's quite easy to hide, but I notice a constant slow growth. I am considering surgery now. I already had surgery on it when I was 16 (excision) but they failed to remove it completely and so it regrew. Now my doctor advises me to have sclerotherapy combined with excision. I am very scared to go through with this. So many insecurities: what if it's worse after surgery, etc.... How long will the treatment take, will it be painful, etc...
I also want the best doctor possible, but how do I find him?

I hope I get some feedback here

Love B.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:08 AM
AnneinPa

Default Re: Any experiences with sclerotherapy?

Hi-I'm Anne. Had sclerotherapy last Thrusday for vm on left face. I've had multiple excisions as well as laser tx.
I used Dr. Alex Berenstein at Roosevelt Hospital in Ny. As far as I'm concerned, he is the very best in the world.
At 48 years, I've seen a lot of drs. He and Dr. Waner (also NYC) can't be beat. You can email me directly for more info at TarrysMom@AOL.com
Anne
Old 03-19-2006, 05:13 PM
shelley197

B-Girl,

My name is Shelley. My seven year old son has gone through three sclerotherapy sessions with Dr. James at Arkansas Children's Hospital in the last year. His venous malformation engulfs the left side of his face. I would be willing to share our experiences with you, and send you some pictures of before and after. You can email me @ shelley.hove@us.army.mil.

Good Luck!
Shelley
Old 03-19-2006, 05:40 PM

I have had sclero. for a VM of the left elbow/forearm. I am not sure how the pain would be for a facial VM, but with the arm it was tolerable, and recovery was fairly quick.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Kristie
Old 04-21-2006, 09:09 PM
anna091880

: hi
I don't have any experience with sclerotherapy, but i am also 25 and have a vm on my right cheek....i feel like i can't hide it and it's just taken a huge toll on my selfesteem...i have have 6 sergeries and it just keeps growing back...i was recomended to go and see DR. YAKES i had sent him my mri records and he said that he could help me so you could try him also...he is supposed to be the best.....
thanks
ANNA
Old 04-21-2006, 10:20 PM

Dr.Yakes, is very good!!! He has an awesome bedside manner and will make you feel very comfortable! Good Luck and keep up posted on how it goes.

Kristie
Old 05-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Miran

I have a VM on my upper left eyelid and have had 3 sclerotherapies done in the past 2 years. It helped some but the VM eventually grows back and my doctor told me that if it is not completely removed it will continue to grow back so now I am in search of a very good doctor who could remove all of it or at least most all of it. I've had this since birth and it has taken a toll on my self-esteem and social life but I have to deal with it at best and hopefully one day I can feel better about myself and more comfortable around people without worrying about them starring at me and whispering about my eye. Overall I am glad I had the sclerotherapy treatments as they were not too painful and swelling and bruising only lasted a couple of weeks so I think anyone should give it a try if it is an option of choice.

Miran