My daughter is 8 months old and has a PWS on her right temple. She had her first laser tx on May 8. Her 1st pediatrician told me she had a strawberry and it would go away. I did not believe the dr and switched at her 4 month check up. The new ped. told me it was a PWS and I should contact the dermatology dep. at Texas Childrens.(we live near Houston tx) They were great at explaining everything and confirmed that it was a PWS. She told me there was no reason not to treat. I have been obsessed with it since the ped told me. I have read everything I can find on the internet. Hers changes with temperature and temperment. It is also not symmetric.
1) Did your insurance cover the procedure? It was preapproved BUT they haven't actually paid for it. I was sick to my stomache until they approved it. It was approved at 100% but I won't be happy until it has been paid.
2) Is it done in a hospital or an office? Hers was done in the hospital on the day surgery floor.
3) Was is the estimated cost per session (if you know)? Not sure BUT I can tell you what my insurance was billed if you email me at Erikamiles4815@hotmail.com
4) How cranky is your baby post-procedure? Mine wasn't cranky at all. It was like she went to the hospital and took a nap. She woke up and was her normal self.
5) Are you happy with the results? Yes. I can see some lighter areas and the Dr and Hospital were great. So we will be doing her 2nd tx in July. They told me they were extremely conservative the 1st time and since she did not blister they would adjust the laser.
6) Are there any risks? I don't mean scarring or swelling... but risks to damaging other things... his little brain is under there and I am so laser ignorant. I don't think there are any risk. It is my understanding that the laser targets the vessel.
7) Any other advice you would give a newbie entering this realm of treatment!! Diffently ask questions. Maybe you would feel better if they explained why they think it is or isn't a PWS. My Derm. explained everything so perfect that I had no doubts or questions once I left her office.
Hope I have helped.