Ready to give up again - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 AM
lijoy

Unhappy Ready to give up again

I went to the doctor last Friday. It was a disaster!!! He was rude and very uncaring. I know he was just being honest about things,but a little compassion would have been nice. He it is highly unlikly my insurance would approve the treatments. I already knew that, but just to hear it is painful!!! Ihave lived with this pws for 33 years and I'm just so tired. I just don't know if I am strong enough to fight and appeal. I know nothing about insurance and appeals. I completly broke down in docs office and could barley speak a word. How can I do this? Veryyyy tired!!!! Lijoy
Old 10-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Since Birthmarks.com deals with PWS, take a look at this:
http://birthmarks.com/Index.cfm?Page=28

They have a better example for PWS treatment.

Also, don't give up until you know that your insurance company has actually denied the claim. Is there someone at the company that you can speak with directly to find out what you have to do?

Is there another physician in your area that you could see? A doc who comes off as rude and uncaring isn't being "honest." Just rude and uncaring. Also, the staff of a physician's office is usually good at knowing how to deal with insurance issues, so they should be helping you.

Missy
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 PM

Hi,

Sorry for not posting earlier. I currently do not have internet.

I agree with Missy please do not give up. If any thing your insurance company would deny your treatments because they would consider it cosmentic surgery. This is the number one reason why.
If you work with your doctors office and have them write a letter to the insurance company and send photos they might reconsider. If not like Missy said go to birthmarks.com there are several appeals people have won and have put their papers on the website to help others like yourself. If you need help you can always get into contact with Charlie or Micheal to help you get the right info off the website.

As for the uncaring, I know how you feel because I have been in your shoes. Not because of the insurance but the doctor not willing to operate on my PWS. It is very hard, and all I can tell you is keep your head held high and if you are determined enough you will find benefit in the future. If you do not like how this doctor is treating you I would surggest looking for another doctor in your area. If you have not already looked, there is the resource section above full of doctors. You might be able to find one that is in your area or in driving distance.

I hope this helps.

Hank