lasers - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 01-19-2007, 09:29 PM
red head

Default lasers please help

can anyone tell me anything about the KTP laser? or IPL i want to get rid of a stork bite on my forehead people say they go away when you're a kid but mine never did and i'm 27 and it is a stork bite as the doc says so

Last edited by red head : 01-21-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 AM

Hello,

First of all welcome to the group.

I am a 24 year old with a facial port wine stain birthmark.

Being that you are 27 and that most Stork bite do go away on their own. I would consider maybe getting a second opinion. You could send a photo to Dr. Nelson (the ask the pws doctor on the front of this website) He works with several types of laser machines and treats every different kind of birthmarks.

I have used several lasers but neither of those two machines. I have also had three plastic surgeries. If you would like to see pictues you can see them on my website (www.hankspws.com)

I hope this helps and hope to talk to you soon.

Hank
Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 AM
red head

hi thanks for the reply i'm going to see another doc tomorrow for more advice i really hope i can have laser the doc i'm seeing is highly recommended so we'lll see thanks again
Old 01-27-2007, 05:11 PM
red head

i just got back from seeing a lovely doc i'm getting ktp laser next wk i'll need about 4 treatments maybee more she said shes treating it as a pws so the other doc was wrong i really hpoe this laser works
Old 01-28-2007, 09:11 PM

I hope everything goes well for you and good luck on the treatments.

Hank
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
red head

thanks i'm getting really nervous now i'm going tomorrow at 4pm for my first treatment i really hope i see some improvment
Old 02-03-2007, 06:22 PM
red head

i had my laser done today i'm a little worried as it was slightly red afterwards but now it's just normal again it looks no different at all is this normal also it didn't hurt i couldn't really feel anything just like someone drawing on me i hope i notice a little difference at least my next treatment is in 7 wks
Old 02-04-2007, 02:01 AM

Congrats on getting thru your first laser treatment.

I do not want to disappoint you, but the reason why you can not tell very much is because they doctor probably only did testing areas just to tell how yoru skin reacts to the laser. I can almost garuntee that you will not see any changes in the first treatment. It really depends on how think and dark your PWS is. Darker it is the longer it will take to notice changes. Some people do not notice changes until after seven or eight treatments. Make sure you keep track of how your skin reacts to it and let the doctor know. Then they will turn up the machine from there. It will probably have to be gradual so it does not cause any scarring.

Happy healing, and hope to talk to you soon.

Hank
Old 02-04-2007, 04:44 PM
red head

hi thanks for the reply i was worried she was just testing it actually there is absolutly no change it isn't very dark it's more like a stork bite really pinky red colour and the doc thinks 4 treatments should do it i'm just disapointed that she didn't tell me this was more of a test i wanted it to take some effect even if it was just slight i paid 200 for it and feel like i have nothing to show for it god i hate this when you get your hopes up and then nothing happens sorry to moan i'm just down about it roll on 7 weeks
Old 02-04-2007, 08:11 PM

Often when a pws is light, it is harder to get fading because the blood vessels are smaller.

I would encourage you to email Dr. Nelson from ask the expert on techniques that can be used to help increase the effectiveness of the laser tx. each time. Dr. Nelson told me that using numbing type creams actually decrease the effectiveness of the tx. There are other options to manage pain if g.a. can't be used.

Corinne