Need advise decorative tattoo over PWS - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Port Wine Stain Help > Port Wine Stain Help and Resources

Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 AM
vermonter

Default Need advise decorative tattoo over PWS

I am 45 years old and have a severe PWS on my right shoulder that extends down my right shoulder blade. It is smooth with NO lesions or raised areas. I was thinking about having a tattoo artist match the PWS color, rather than trying to mask it with a flesh tone ink and having a large PWS colored red/purple dragon cover the birthmark entirely. Since the blood vessels are dialated and near the surface does any one have the medical answer regarding safety. Can the injection of tattoo ink into the capaliaries or area surrounding them cause blood poisoning or other complications? Is this a safe thing to do aside from the usual risks associated with tattooing?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

First off, read this thread:

http://www.birthmark.org/board/showt...ghlight=tattoo

There might be some confusion in there, because one post was deleted. Someone had advertsied their services in this area and that's a no-no around here. Also, the long post with all the information in it really compares laser and tattoo, and that's not what you're asking about. Also, I see that you are not asking about a flesh-colored tattoo, but one that matches the color as it is now.

Have you tried any laser treatments? Also, when you say "severe PWS" do you know the level of severity?

My recommendation would be to ask a physician that is familiar with treating PWS, especially severe ones.

And, for the record, I'm not against tattooing... I have one. I got it for my sister's 40th birthday (she was turning 40 and I was celebrating because I wasn't turning 40) and all of us were going to go get tattoos with her. My brother and I, some nieces and nephews, and my sister. Guess who chickened out? Yep, my sister.

Missy
Old 08-12-2007, 02:12 PM

i have a pwt on my chest and would like a black tatoo over it is it okay to tatoo over pwt with black ink
thanks rob
Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 PM

I really would caution you about tatooing this area. Please do as Missy suggested and get a medical opinion from a pws expert. (Dr. nelson on the front page).

Corinne