Anesthesia and sleep disturbances?? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 09-20-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Anesthesia and sleep disturbances??

hey everyone...

emily has been having some sleep issues since her surgery....i asked the surgeon, and he said that there is no factual info on it BUT he said some babies have sleep problems after anesthesia. Good sleepers turn bad, vice versa.
Good thing is, he said it only lasts a few months...
Emily used to be a *pretty good sleeper...now, minus last night (knock on wood) has been waking more frequently and not napping well at all....

any other moms have experienced this post surgery?? its weird, he says its not proven, but hes seen a lot of parents that have had this happen....
Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 AM

Hi

Our daughter (3 1/2 now) was under GA for about 7 times between age seven months until age 2. She had sleeping issues afterwards every single time. The first week was the worst but she had problems for about three/four weeks afterwards. At first we thought that it was because of the stress dose of steroids she got when she was under GA but the last times she was not on steroids and had the same sleeping issues after a GA for a few weeks. In the hospital I was up with her a lot at nights while all the other children were sound asleep. She was not in any pain just restless.

My son (3 1/2 too) has been under GA too a few times and had no sleeping problems afterwards at all.

I hope that the sleeping issues with your baby will disappear soon !

Maria
The Netherlands
Old 09-24-2007, 04:40 PM

My son Ben was just under GA (he's 5 1/2 mos) and he's sleeping about the same, maybe harder to get down but staying asleep the same. He's not a very good sleeper anyway so it's hard to tell. But maybe harder to fall asleep?? Good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM

shes sleeping a bit better, but still harder to get her down...its been 3 weeks since the surgery, so hopefully the night waking will subside! good luck to everyone!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 AM

hey 21 y/o female here. I am new to this website. I have a very large venous malformation (hemangioma) on my left side starting from my lower leg and into my stomach. I have a tip for parents. If your baby is at least 3 years old and having trouble sleeping try giving them a tiny dose of childrens benadryl. The diphenhydramine will send them right to sleep. Of course only do this if absolutely necessary. Just a tip thats something my mom used to do with me when I was a baby. good luck and sweet dreams.

Last edited by Nicolefila : 09-25-2007 at 04:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 AM

too bad, mine is only 7 months!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:59 PM

well an unfortunate update is that now ben is sleeping worse. not sure whether it's due to the anesthesia b/c he's never been a good sleeper and it goes in waves, but in a bad phase now. fights falling asleep then wakes frequently.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Would I have the same problem since the dr. required for my daughters next laser to have a GA??? Her 1st 2 procedures were done w/out it... Did u have ur GA b/c of laser or were they major surgeries??
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM

My son had GA three times in order to make laser on his lower lip.
Afterwards and for three or for weeks he had trouble not to fall asleep but durng the night. He used to wake up frequently at night and get up at about 5 in the morning. He also had trouble to his behaviour after GA.
Everything passed after at about one month. You have to be patient.
Good luck!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM

How many months was ur son at the time of the procedures?? And what do you mean by behavior problems???

Last edited by Ariella : 02-15-2008 at 02:44 PM.