Help on thoughts on birthmark - Page 3 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Surgery next Wednesday the 20th Aug 2008

Just wanted to let you all know that we are booked in for surgery next
Wednesday 20th Aug 2008. We are so scared about the surgery however
realise that we are doing the right thing for our son.

I thank everyone who has posted and would ask that you pray for us over the next few weeks.

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:58 PM

I hope all goes well and I will definately keep you and your little one in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:46 PM

Thumbs up My little one with H on his face

My little guy (13months) has a hemangioma on his left cheek. We also have struggled with trying to find the right person to treat it. My paediatrician also told us to wait and see. He has undergone 3 steroid injections and they are saying to wait until 2 1/2 yrs before operating because they want to mimimise the scaring on the face or any deformity to his cheek. I dont see it anymore when I look at him but I am worried for him as people stare and kids want to squeeze it his is unaware of it now. Is your son aware of his H? How do you think waiting to this age for surgery has affected him? I am worried should I find someone to cut it out now before his is aware of people pointing or is that just me and am I doing the right thing waiting for it to shrink as much as possible to minimise the scar?
I think you are very brave and obviously love your son very much to find a solution for him. Good luck and God Bless
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Ozziemum:

My youngest had/has a hemangioma on the right cheek. She had 3.5 months of oral steroids, a steroid injection, and two plastic surgeries (at 11 months & 2 yrs, 4 months). She is now 4 years old, and needs some laser. She will always have a scar, though I don't think things would have looked better if we had waited (though the doctors in this area wanted to wait until she was 4 for surgery).

However, it really depends upon your child's hemangioma/situation, plus what you want to do.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 AM

Default RE: Help on thoughts on birthmark | Surgery 20.8.08

Thanks to everyone that wished little Alex and us well for his operation.

In Summary;

- Alex was admitted at 7am on 20/Aug/2008
- Alex was in good spirits before operation
- Alex was prepped for operation, which included getting him weighed in (almost 10kg)
- Alex and mother headed down to surgery room were anaesthetic was given at about 9am
- Alex's operation lasted about 20mins
- We got a phone call from surgeon soon after (notifying us that all went according to plan)
- Alex sent to recovery room and we followed soon after.
- Alex awoke to both mum and dad being present in the recovery room, which was good
- Alex a little grizzly and drowsy to begin with.
- Alex sent back upstairs soon after.
- Alex appetite soon returned (1 milk, yogurt, 2 biscuits etc) <-- must take from my side of the family.
- Alex discharged at approx 1pm on the 20th Aug 2008
- Alex glad to be back home to his toys and to his surrroundings.

Again Thanks to all for their best wishes.

I will post updates and pics soon
Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 AM

Default Help on thoughts on birthmark | Follow up pcitures

Some Pictures as promised.

We have a post surgery appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday 26/08/08, will post update, again thanks for everyones support.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:56 AM

Default Help on thoughts on birthmark | post surgery appointment

26/08/2008

A follow up appointment was scheduled to check Alex's stitches.

Surgeon was happy with the operation and progress.
He also said that they tested the Hemangioma and that it come back all clear.

The surgeon said that the first 3 months post operation will see the stitches flair up (reddish color <-- will look at its worst) then the following months it commences healing, and this could take up to 16 months. The surgeon gave us another appointment in 3 months time when the stitches will be at its worst to check on the status.

I will keep everyone posted on outcomes.
If anyone has any queries or questions relating to the procedure
I would be more than happy to discuss at length or provide some type of
guidance.

If anyone has gone through something similar would you please email back as so we can discuss simililarities and what to expect from here on.

Again Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by mob : 08-28-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 AM

Default Help on thoughts on birthmark | post surgery update

I just thought I would post some post surgery photos

These 2 pictures were taken 1 week after surgery.

Little one in very good spirits and both parents are happy with the progress thus far, will post updates and keep everyone posted with progress.

Again thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birthmark_after_operation_01Sep2008_pic1.jpg (55.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg birthmark_after_operation_01Sep2008_pic2.jpg (48.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM

he looks so great! itsnt it amazing what they can do! my daughter had surgery on her large h on her right arm and the back of her neck on june 12th! you can see her progress on her website www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball her surgery site is still a little puffy but looking good!

Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Help on thoughts on birthmark | update

Gday folks, its been a while now and I thought I would post an update.

Alex is doing fine, the stitching has started to disolve and the scaring is
going down. We are so glad we went through with the operation. I will be posting updated pictures soon.