Is there really help???????????? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Adults Living with Birthmarks

Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Default Is there really help????????????

Hello everyone: I have a PWS on my left leg since birth. Last year I went to see a dermatologist in the Denver area regarding laser treatment. I cried all the way home, discouraged and feeling horrible. The Dr. told me because I have dark skin (hispanic descent) that laser treatment will not work for me. Has anyone else run into this problem? I am 30 years old, and engaged. My future husband wants to go to Brazil for our honeymoon. I don't dare wear a shorts, much less a bathing suite. So, is there really a treatment out there that can help????????????
Old 03-14-2008, 12:58 AM

Hello Smluvly,

First of all welcome to the group.

I am a 25 year old with a facial PWS.

What doctor did you see in Denver?
Has your PWS thickened or grown over the years?
The reason I ask is if it has you might be able to get plastic surgery, but depends on your PWS. Laser treatment is the only other way that I know of right now that can help remove your PWS, but as I have learned laser treatment can not remove all types of PWS completely yet until technology gets better. I started laser treatment when I was five years old and still going when ever I can make time. Even if you could have had laser treatment I can almost garuntee that it would have been removed by the time you get married.

Speaking of which congrats and what is your wedding date?
My fiancee and I are planning on June 6th of 2009.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Hank
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM

i've been askin myself that same damn question...(i saw dr. yakes in denver) had a surgery done, but he just made it worse....it grew bigger, there's pain now, and it's messing with my hearing(i have a venous malformation on my left cheek, ugly thing, and i'm 20). since then i don't really care about anything anymore, i guess you could say i have a death wish, just livin life on the edge and pushin it to the edge, doin stuff that's life threatening, cause i just don't really care anymore. why the hell do i have to live with this, WHY ME?! i've gotten all religi-fied and prayed and all that jazz but never had the comforting feeling of everything's gonna be alright, so now just thinkin of turnin the other way and doin whatever i want and if watever i choose to do takes my life, so be it....who cares right? haha, i'm gonna go on a drinking binge soon.(haven't touched alcohol since dec 3rd '07)WHY?!