Opinions on Surgery needed... - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2008, 09:30 PM
mfiore75 mfiore75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Syosset, NY
Posts: 3
Default Opinions on Surgery needed...

Hi, I'm new here. My wife and I had twins about 5 months ago (Anthony and Ava). Ava developed a dime shaped hemangioma on her cheek shortly after birth and it has since stopped growing for about a month now I would guess. We have seen Dr. Crystal (Long Island), Dr. Orlow (NYU) and Dr. Waner regarding it. They all agree that it needs to be removed surgically due to the mushroom shape and the fact that it will never fully go away without leaving a mark on its own. The only issue is that Dr. Waner suggests removing it now (we have surgery scheduled in sept) and the other two recommend removing when she's about 2 1/2 in the hopes that it will involute some and the surgery will leave less of a scar. So, does anyone have any opinions on the pros/cons about having surgery sooner or later?

Thanks,
Mike Fiore
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-08-2008, 12:01 AM
missy missy is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,723
Default

Why wait? I cannot think of a single reason for waiting. She is so young, the scar will probably be a non-issue.

Missy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
jgoodman0814 jgoodman0814 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond, ky
Posts: 117
Question

we are going through the same issue ourselves. our daughter...also ava...has a large hemangioma on her right arm that extends from the top of her shoulder to the elbow. we first had dr waner and dr levitin look at it via email, and both decided that if it ulcerated more to go ahead and remove, later deciding that removal might not be good now since it covers most of her arm. (there would not be any skin to close her arm back up) so we decided to see a dr closer to us in ohio when she was 7 months, who also said that we could go ahead and remove now, but could leave a larger scar....could being the main word. we decided to wait since she wasnt in anymore pain. we now have an appointment with him again on the 10th of june to dicuss again removal. questions is, do you go ahead and have it removed because of the bulk and discomfort, and risk being a larger scar, or do you wait?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ava.jpg (23.0 KB, 70 views)
__________________


Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM
mfiore75 mfiore75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Syosset, NY
Posts: 3
Default

Here is a picture of Ava.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2454a.JPG (95.7 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 PM
lpm lpm is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 53
Default

One (non-medical) reason you might wait is insurance, if the other doctors are in-network. While we did not wait (surgery at 11 months and 2 yrs 4 months, plus she could use some laser), we did go to CA for the surgery - in part due to the fact that the doctor was in-network. We are in PA, about 2 hours from NYC.

It doesn't appear that the location is problematic, so I wouldn't think that there is any harm in waiting. If you get tired of waiting, you could always re-schedule with Dr. Waner (I would think).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 AM
EJsMommy EJsMommy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Travis AFB, Fairfield, CA
Posts: 37
Default My situation

My daughter (Eva), has a Hemangioma as well. At first hers looked like Ava's, but grew and grew and grew. She is having it removed next week (thursday) and in my opinion that is what's best for her. Especially since my daughter's H is compound, deep AND superficial.

Since Ava's is not problematic, you could wait a little while to make your final decision, but they do tend to grow for a few months longer and that may affect your decision to have it removed. Dr. Waners opinion is one to be considered since he is so experienced in the field and has removed so many Hemangiomas of a more complex nature, so Ava's would probably be a fast and simple procedure.

However, you might get lucky and her H may stop growing early. Since your Surgery is scheduled for September, that gives you some time to weigh your options.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide!
__________________
Cristine
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 AM
HaileysMom HaileysMom is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Default In the same boat

I am so glad to see a post like this because I am sitting at my computer with the very same question. Our daughter Hailey is 9.5 months with a superfical & deep hemangioma on her right temple between the eye and ear. We met with Dr. Waner who basically said there was no benefit to waiting so why not do it now. However, we also met with two other doctors who said they would prefer to wait until she was a bit older and to see if the H involudes some. The problem is we like Dr. Waner the best, but aren't sure if we should be conservative and wait it out like the others suggested. All doctors have agreed though that Hailey will have to have surgery at some point to remove the H or the left-over skin/bulge. I'd love feedback from parents who felt it was better to either proceed or to wait.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2008, 02:55 PM
jgoodman0814 jgoodman0814 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: richmond, ky
Posts: 117
Default

after talking with my husband about the removal of our daughters h, we have decided to go ahead with the surgery on june 12th unless the dr just says no. the last time we talked to him he told us that ultimatley it was our decision. i think that Ava will have a scar regardless of when its taken off, and they can do revision surgery to help with the appearance of the scar. unless it causes compications to take it off, we are full spped ahead.
__________________


Jessica Ball
www.caringbridge.org/visit/avaball
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
mfiore75 mfiore75 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Syosset, NY
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you all so much for the advice.........as of now, we're still up in the air, but leaning towards september surgery, when Ava will be 9 months........Keep the opinions coming
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 AM
emonaco emonaco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15
Default

Hi - if it has stopped growing, why wait?

Our daughter's dime-sized strawberry hemangioma on her eyelid had stopped growing by five months so we had it removed by Dr. Reinisch in LA at that age. Every single doctor we saw before him said to wait and see and some also suggested different treatments including steroids, injections, topical treatments, laser, and more. We decided to go with our gut and also with what Dr. R said about surgery when they are young: mainly that they recover faster from the surgery, they do not remember it, the scarring goes away faster, etc. We are happy with surgery but I would say,
do what is best for you and of course, there are risks to surgery so these should be considered, but for us, it turned out great and we are so happy to have the hemangioma be a think of the past.

Good luck to you and your family!

Ellie
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surgery Update susan1999 Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 6 08-25-2010 02:52 PM
Removal Surgery at 4 years - UK or USA - pls help? lynnmmoir Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 17 08-24-2010 04:16 AM
Can't find a doctor to recommend surgery Imnay2 Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 1 01-29-2008 03:26 AM
HANK - SURGERY UPDATE swsc Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 4 02-21-2005 01:51 PM
Surgery or No surgery? mom2KandK AVM Help and Resources 3 05-17-2004 12:12 AM