Decision to have excision surgery for hemangioma - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Decision to have excision surgery for hemangioma

Hi all,
I'm mom to a 8 1/2 month old wonderful little boy who has a h. on his right forearm. In April it began to ulcerate and bleed and we have been taking him to a dermatologist for laser treatments, which were not largely successful in healing his ulcer. We tried to get Regranex in May, but it is still on backorder. Last week we finally made it to a plastic surgeon who agrees that excision is possible for his h. and that it would be beneficial for him to have it. We are scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks. The part we are struggling with is that just this weekend his h. is starting to show signs of healing, although he still grabs at it and cries when we change his clothes. I was just wondering if any of you have had similar experiences and how you've weighed the decision to go ahead with surgery. Anyone regret having surgery? We are in Birmingham, AL.
Thanks so much!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:02 PM

We decided to go ahead with surgery when our daughter was 4 months old. BEST BEST BEST decision we ever made!! Her's was on her scalp/forhead. Can't even see the scar anymore, she is 9 months now. I don't think you will regret the decision at all. Good luck!

Mom to Brendan (7 years old)
and Kayleigh (born 9/8/07)
Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM

We went through 10 procedures for Rachel - who is about to turn three. And, I can say, I don't regret a thing. She looks amazing and it truly did give her an opportunity to look "normal." Where if we would have waited, the h would have done so much damage - that it would be really tough to repair it. I know it is scary, but you will find much support here. If you want to talk, feel free to e-mail me sherrirfoster@sbcglobal.net. I wish you the best, let us know how things go.
Sherri
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM

Thank-you so much for sharing your experiences Jen and Sherri. We will be proceeding with surgery on July 8th and we will let you know how it goes. It is very comforting to know others have gone through this experience before and are glad they made the decision for surgery.
-Mandy
Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 PM

Default Update on son's hemangioma removal

Hi all,
I wanted to post an update of our son's hemangioma removal. It was the best decision we have made. The surgery was performed by Dr Paul Howard in Birmingham, AL and went smoothly, we were home before 11am that morning and the recovery was quick. Here is a picture of the ulcerated h. and a one-week post-op picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June 9th hemagioma_3.JPG (23.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg LKE post surgery 1.jpg (13.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Administrator

I'm so glad everything turned out so well for you guys!! Hope your boy is doing well!

Missy