Would you reccomend Propranolol? (pic included) - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  

1994 - 2014 Celebrating 20 years with 75,000 networked into treatment, over 3,000,000 views monthly on our world wide websites, virtual chapters on 6 of the 7 continents in the world, 500 families provided free lodging while seeking a medical opinion or treatment,over 400 conference scholarships awarded, 200 Day of Awareness events, 15 conferences, 12 programs (including our Ask/Accept Anti Bullying Program),10 walk/runs, 6 research projects funded, 4 physician education grants awarded, 4 college scholarships awarded, 3 Galas, and 2 International Missions Trips with over 300 treated by our international team.
Donate to VBF

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Question Would you reccomend Propranolol?

My daughter has a superficial hemangioma on her cheek about 1 cm across, and a very small one on the tip of her tongue that so far doesn't seem to bother her.

She is now eight weeks old and last week we saw a pediatric dermatologist about her hemangiomas. After going over the usual basics of hemangiomas the Dr said that she didn't think her hemangiomas were severe enough for Propranolol and wants to take the "wait and see" approach. My husband and I were pretty disappointed since we were hoping Propranolol would be our miracle cure. I told her I was concerned about the long term physical and psychological scaring it could, and probably will, cause. She still said she would prefer to "wait and see". I grumbled about how I didn't really see the point in "waiting and seeing if she ends up scarred" when we have other options. She told us to schedule another appointment in two weeks so we could see how it is growing.
While waiting in line to book the next appointment I talked to the family behind us, who's six month old son had a hemangioma on the end of his nose. They said he *was* on Propranolol and that it had made a huge differnce already for him. So the hospital is familiar with Propranolol treatment for hemangiomas.

I want to add that I did get the impression that if we insisted the Dr would go ahead with whatever treatment we wanted, just that in her opinion she didn't think it was necessary.

I really need your help!
Given what our daughter's hemangioma is like at 7 weeks:

Will it grow?
How long will it take to resolve on its own?
Will it leave a scar?
Does Propranolol have any lasting long term side effects?
*** If she were your child would you recommend Propranolol? ***

Thank you!

Last edited by Tamia : 04-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 AM

Hi there - From what I understand, lots of people have had very good results with Propranolol. However, its use in treatment of hemangiomas is very new. Take a look at this discussion on another board from one parent about her experience: http://www.msnvb.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92