2 year old's hemangioma is swollen or growing again. Typical? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo
1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Old 06-26-2015, 04:07 PM

Default 2 year old's hemangioma is swollen or growing again. Typical?

I have looked all over the internet and have not found any other mention of this.

My daughter has a hemangioma on the top of her head. It grew to its biggest size (about the size of a silver dollar, and protruding about 1/4 - 1/2 inch up from her head) by six months. It has slowly shrunk and almost completely flattened and no longer "squishy" by 22 months. Just in the last week (she is currently 24 months), it has either become swollen or is growing again, as it is again mound-shaped and protruding about 1/2 inch from her head.

I've seen many sites say Hemangiomas do not grow again after they've started shrinking, but I've found no mention of hemangioma swelling. Has this happened to anyone else? Any cause for concern?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

My best advice is for you to call her physician and schedule an appointment. The only time I've ever heard of rebound growth is when a child was on propanalol and, when the medicine was discontinued, the lesion grew again.

What treatments has your child had?

Please, take some photographs now for comparison.

You can ask one of our experts here: http://birthmark.org/experts.php and be sure to include a photo and detailed explanations of any treatments to date. Also, has she had any other difficulties lately? It may even be related to some over-the-counter medication or new food, so any changes in the last two months? Children that age... it's difficult to pinpoint anything new, since, to them, everything is new!

Let us know what happens!!

Missy
Old 06-26-2015, 06:02 PM

Thanks so much for your reply.

I could take a photo of it, but unfortunately I doubt I have any photos of it from a few weeks ago, so you wouldn't be able to compare it to anything.

I do intend to call the doctor, but it will be several days before I can get her in, and I was just hoping to find someone with a similar experience.

She has had no treatments whatsoever for it. It's on the top of her head and obscured by hair, so appearance wasn't a concern for us.

I can't say there are any changes at all, either to her diet, medication, or health.

Question regarding the "ask the experts" page - is there a fee to do this? I'm surprised these (mostly) doctors would devote time to returning e-mails to strangers pro bono... And if it is free, do you or anyone have a recommendation who to contact?
Old 06-27-2015, 04:13 AM

It is free Dr. Levitin would probably be the one to ask.
Shannon
Old 06-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Frankly, I'm always amazed and humbled at the time and attention given to this by the physicians.

Ask the Expert is free. After you submit your question, it will give you a prompt to make a donation if you would like to, but this is NOT required at all.

Let us know what happens!

Missy
Old 08-01-2015, 04:55 AM

Hi there. I have just posted something similar. My 7yo daughters lower lip H has started re growing but she has been stable for years and never been on meds . Sorry no help but interested in any replies.