Update/ Sad news? Is this right? - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment

Dr. Linda Rozell-Shannon, PhD President and Founder

   VBF 20th Anniversary Gala Friday, October 10, 2014 in New York City

VBF 2014 Annual Conference Saturday, October 11, 2014 in New York City

Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Help and Resources for Hemangiomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Tessamarie Tessamarie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 77
Default Update/ Sad news? Is this right?

We just got back from our daughter's specialist appointment with a dermatologist in our area and we were told the following:

1. Due to the fact she has more than one facial H, with one looking compound, it is possible that she has internal H which are very serious
2. Her H will NOT fade on it's own until at least the age of 7, but most likely until the age of 9. She said it would NOT go away when she was 1 or 2 like we were hoping it might
3. Since steroid cream did not work, the only thing they can do now is refer us to Sick Kids Hospital where they can see if there are any other measures or just the wait and see approach
4. Her optic nerve could potentially be damaged because her H is above her eye and that needs to be looked into to make sure her vision is not impaired in any way.
5. If she bumps her head, we must put pressure on it and immediately take her to sick kids and get it seen. The derm. said that any bleed is a serious bleed and that it opens up the blood vessels and she can very quickly lose a lot of blood. She said we must be very cautious of her not bumping her head (we have been very careful but she is also learning to walk right now and it is almost impossible to avoid all bumps on the head or spills..but we will continue to be cautious)

Has anyone else been given this information? We are awaiting the call with the actual referral date.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,054
Default

1) it is a common practice to have MRI to rule out internal h. if a child has more than 3 external. Internal lesions are rare, and though some can be serious..not all are, sometime just requiring close monitoring.
2) H. do all seem to respond differently and involution has a general pattern, but all cases are different even when two a very similar. Compound h. tend to be more stubborn in the involution phase and I agree it may never completely be gone...but there is a large spectrum of end results of involution.
3) How old is your baby? It is imporant to continue searching for medical care that fits your instincts on what is best for your baby. You'll receive many different perspectives on treating/not treating h. and how...but it is your baby and you need to be comfortable with the route.
4)I would highly recommend you seek the opinion of a pediatric ophthalmologist in person and as well email Dr. Aaron Fay from the ask the expert page with photos and details of your baby's lesions. If you have any trouble, let me know
5) It is nearly impossible to avoid all bumps. They happen especially at the early walking stages. The emergency physicians should be able to apply a clotting agent to stop the bleeding.

Corinne
__________________
Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Tessamarie Tessamarie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 77
Default

Corinne,

Thanks so much for your reply...She is 10.5 months old now. I do think that I was comfortable with not treating it at first but if they think that it really is not going to go away now (except by treatment) then I am wanting whatever treatment is right for her.
Thanks for the idea to email Dr.Aaron Fay!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,054
Default

If the h. has stopped growing, no medical risks (including her eye)...then surgery or other treatment could wait. I know the "unknown" is the hardest part... if only we had a cyrstal ball with each hemangioma. There are pro and cons to any route. I would make a list of your pros vs. cons and see where you are leaning. Doubt is always going to be there, but don't let it consume you. No matter what you decide, you've done the best you can for your child. You've researched, you've asked questions, you have seen or talked with doctors. Trust yourself.

Corinne
__________________
Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
nickbar nickbar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,054
Default

I should have added. One of the benefits to having treatment early is the child will not remember much if any of the steps taken to get rid of the h. This is not the only reason we treated my son early..more critical issues were there, but one of the benefits we realized later, he has no memory (only pictures) of all trips to the hospital, being put under g.a, waking up from g.a. healing...etc.
__________________
Corinne Barinaga
VBF Director of Family Services
vbfadvocate @ live. com (no spaces)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surgery Update susan1999 Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 6 08-25-2010 01:52 PM
Update On Daughters Heamangioma claire & eloise Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 14 04-09-2010 08:39 PM
Update On Daughters Heamangioma claire & eloise Help and Resources for Hemangiomas 6 05-16-2008 11:14 PM
HANK - SURGERY UPDATE swsc Port Wine Stain Help and Resources 4 02-21-2005 12:51 PM
creams for healing ** update ** Lisa_99 AVM Help and Resources 1 07-29-2004 07:31 PM