Microcystic Lymphatic Malformation on Labia Minora - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Hemangioma Help > Lymphatic Malformations (also known as cystic hygroma and lymphangioma)

Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Microcystic Lymphatic Malformation on Labia Minora

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with Microcystic Lymphatic Malformation on her labia minora. The doctor would like for her to have a MRI. This is all new to me. Her symptoms started 6 weeks ago with a small red bump and has already grown in size. What should I expect? We are located in Southern California. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 AM

it probably will continue to grow in size. And I do suggest you have the MRI for her. It's good to know what you're dealing with.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 AM

It was going away, actually gone. Then, she bumped herself on the tricycle and it came back.

Thank you, I have scheduled the MRI and MRA for Aug 5th at UCI Medical Center.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 AM

You're in Socal! what doctor are you seeing?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 PM

She was referred to Dr. Brandie Metz at ICU in Orange, CA.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Administrator

August 5 is right around the corner, isn't it? How is she doing these days?

Missy
Old 07-29-2009, 02:31 AM

have you tried going to any of the children's hospitals, like CHOC or CHLA? You really want a doctor who has experience with this condition. Most pediatric surgeons have dealt with LM cases and know how to handle it well. Dr. Reinisch in LA is really good at treating this condition if you can get to him.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM

She is a normal little girl with two older brothers to fight with. The red bumps come and go and go from bright red to black. Tomorrow will be her MRI and MRA at UCI Medical Center. She will be going under general anesthesia, which scares me. Are you familiar with Dr. Brandie Metz or do you just know Dr. Reinsch better? Should I be going to see another doctor after I get the results of this test? We do have PPO insurance and can see any doctor anywhere. I have told her that she is going to get a x-ray.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 AM

I hope the MRI went well. I'm sure she's a trooper. sorry, haven't been online in a while.

I find myself to be eerily similar to your daughter, including the 2 older brothers, it just seems so weird. I don't know Dr. Brandie Metz, only went to a plastic surgeon at UCI, and with him I didn't feel as if he had enough experience. I have been seeing Dr. Reinisch for my own treatment and have found him to be wonderful. Though originally had gone to a pediatric surgeon at CHOC. If Dr Metz has enough experience with the condition, then stick with him. Though it is a good idea to get a second opinion before starting any treatment.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM

MRI and MRA is complete. It was a little scary for me to watch her going under, but she was a trooper. She woke up really grouchy and wanting to eat dried mangos, but other than that, the nurses were excellent with her! Diagnosis was correct, Microcystic Lymphatic Malformation. I have been referred to Dr. Mahmood Razavi in the city of Orange for a consultation for treatment. I need more information on how to go about deciding if treatment is necessary. I need to know how large of an area this is going to affect. Can Dr. Reinisch answer these questions for me? Sweet pea, is there any more information you can give me? Thank you.