Relationships - Page 3 - Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum
  Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Hemangiomas  |  Port Wine Stains  |  Vascular Malformations  
VBF logo

1994 - 2014
Celebrating 20 years with
75,000 networked into treatment.
Donate to VBF    Shop VBF Products

Go Back   Vascular Birthmarks Foundation Forum > Individuals Living with Birthmarks > Youth and Teen Support

Old 07-17-2006, 06:59 AM

another post... now in 2006.

well i don't really have any advice for any one since im only in high school and im trying to go through it myself. I have only had one boy friend, but it didn't go so well. When he found out that i had lymphangioma he got all weirded out and we broke up. So i haven't had a real great experience in the relationship department. For now im just having fun with friends and maybe later i'll give it a shot.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:43 PM

Hi Sweet Pea.

I was in the same boat you were in during high school. I think it is just that age group. Honesty about your LM is very important early in the relationship so you will know wheather they will except it or not. Trail and err is how I have found it to work. Even though I am only in my third relationship right now she excepts me for who I am.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting. Remember you do have in insight for the parents of younger children that are on the group so your message will help.

Talk to you soon.

Hank
Old 07-19-2006, 04:33 AM

Thanks Hank... Im glad you found some one that accepts you for who you are... you seem like a really sweet guy. : )
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Hi Hank
I know exactly how you feel, I'm 14 and I have a hemangioma running across my right jaw. It is raised and so sticks out. It really is horrible for me because as easy as I can make friends with women I know I can't get a relationship. All of my friends have girls that they are all flirty with and they all get complement on their looks, and I never do, and I know it's down to my birthmark. It really does dissappoint me because without it I could have such a good life :/ especially at my age, relationships and who you're with means a lot. I wish someone could see me for who I am and not a lump on my face. Yesterday I was in the shops with a girl, and when I turned to look at her she couldn't stop staring at my birthmark, I feel like a freak and I feel like I'll be lonely my whole life
Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Hi, we haven't heard from Hank is so long. I miss him... but he did get married!

The right person will come along and see you for who you are, not the birthmark. Girls are attracted to confidence... so show them just how great you are... don't let the birthmark stop you!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:54 PM

I've managed to have a lot of luck with dating despite having a hairy nevus on about 1/3 of my body. It covers my entire torso down to the tops of my thighs, and while most people were weird about it, everyone I dated was really sweet. I think a lot of it came down to attitude, I didn't care about it and whenever one of my boyfriends or girlfriends would ask about it I'd shrug it off so they did too. My current girlfriend is awesome, after two months she brought it up and said "so...what exactly is it?" I explained and she asked if I'd had it all my life, I said yes and she said "bet you got a lot of crap for it growing up" I shrugged and she said she thinks its neat looking, and we haven't talked about it since.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 AM

Default Update

I posted on here a few years back about having very little luck in the relationship department, but I am so happy to say that it all changed after high school. I dated a couple guys my freshman year of college, but they weren't the right guys for me. I then met another guy the summer after my freshman year of college and we are now getting married next month! He is amazing and accepts me for who I am. My LM does not bother him in the slightest and he is always supportive. I'll now say that there is someone out there for everyone, it just takes time and typically happens when you least expect it.